• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maze3 socket holddown thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

I think it'll work OK. It'll probably be better than the 4-hole mounting for newebies. You wouldn't believe how many people tighten their springs flat, then keep on tightening.

It will also probably be better than the plastic or nylon screws that they ship. Nylon, like all plastics, will "creep" or stretch over time.

juliendogg

wow, looks pretty cool. would be good if you didn't have holes in the mobo, but it still uses the w/b holes and cranks down from the top on all for corners. i'd say only marginally less risky and just another thing to crowd up your stuff. if there's holes in the mobo i'd just use them.

Big_Baller

Liss, ya I had the home Depot vinal tubing too. I sucked bad for me because it started kinking on me...not a good thing. So i went back (right now I am changing my water cooler design) and I got braided tubes. they dont kink at all. They have this fiber mesh in them. I found em just one shelf up. I recomend them.

fender123

I should be getting my Maze 3 with the new hold down thingy, i'll tell you how it works out as soon as fedex move their asses....
My tracking hasn't budged from their god damn sort facility in Portland for 4 days....

The thing i'm hoping is that with this system i don't have to take out all my stuff (which i probably will have too) would be nice if i didn't have too though.

SemiCycle

Using the socket mounts seems like a good idea, but I personally like using the 4 motherboard mounting holes. I just don't trust those sockects to hold heavy copper waterblocks OR heavy HSF units. I've seen way too many chip or break off.

If you move your system around any, the 4 mouting holes should be your ONLY option.

fender123

Well as for me i do NOT move the computer at all, specially with watercooling this baby is gonna be permanantly here, so i guess this hold down method should be fine in principal, i've used the 3 lugs on Volcano 7's and Volcano 7+'s which a lot of store won't even put on your computer for fear of cracking cores.
So i'm not worried about this 1 either, if you do everything correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
well it looks really cool, and stable! very good idea, although i dont see how it really works, i see the brass nuts pointless...

fender123

ARRRGGGHHH can't wait till it gets here, i'm hoping wednesday or Thursday, the rest of my kit is all ready to go, leak tested, i'll try and keep you guys informed on how it holds and all, damn i wish i had a digi cam....

fender123

I will... just saw the fedex track says it left Vancouver Monday night, expecting it next Monday..........

fender123

Ok, got the Maze 3 today, good packaging.

Well, the socket hold down is idiot proof, simply lower the knobs to tighten the springs so you can clamp the cpu socket notches, and untighten, that's it.....

Doing Mobo : 25 c.
CPU Idle : 33 c.
CPU Full Load : 35 c.

Last edited:

fender123

Well to me it's a good reference point...
I used to be idling at 35 c with a Volcano 7+ at 600 rpms with 5 case fans full blast lol !

Will tell you load temps shortly gonna test now. :)