• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

I am a bit confused about what I should do, because my computer temperature is much higher than I want it to be. Granted a lot of this is due to the ambient being higher, between 72-75 in my room on most days. The problem is while my CPU is usually between 40-42, my motherboard has reported temps as high as 45. This has only been the case since I put a high speed Tornado fan in. I don't have as much ventilation in my computer as I like, I have a fan pulling in air and one pushing it out as well as a few fans on the PSU. I am not sure if I should be concerned by the increase or not, the computer is still perfectly stable. Also, what would be my best course of action since I don't have space in my old crapo computer for more fans? I could possibly get a new case, but that is about all I am seeing. I am going to work on rewiring some and seeing if that helps, but does anyone have suggestions on this? How bad is it if inside my computer it is warm, like around mid 40's?

OP
irish80122

irish80122

irish80122 said:
I am a bit confused about what I should do, because my computer temperature is much higher than I want it to be. Granted a lot of this is due to the ambient being higher, between 72-75 in my room on most days. The problem is while my CPU is usually between 40-42, my motherboard has reported temps as high as 45. This has only been the case since I put a high speed Tornado fan in. I don't have as much ventilation in my computer as I like, I have a fan pulling in air and one pushing it out as well as a few fans on the PSU. I am not sure if I should be concerned by the increase or not, the computer is still perfectly stable. Also, what would be my best course of action since I don't have space in my old crapo computer for more fans? I could possibly get a new case, but that is about all I am seeing. I am going to work on rewiring some and seeing if that helps, but does anyone have suggestions on this? How bad is it if inside my computer it is warm, like around mid 40's?

*UPDATE* Does anyone know where the sensor is on this mobo, maybe it is in a bad location, because I pulled the side pannel off and my processor temp dropped from 42-36 but my system temp only dropped 2-3 degrees, which if anything I would expect the processor to stay about the same and the system to drop a great deal. Any ideas?

DAGO

Curmudgeon
Usually if you remove the side of the case and see a drastic change in temps it means that you need to improve the airflow in your case...
If you can add a couple of fans for intake and exhaust, you should see an improvement. You could cut a hole in the side of the case and add a fan there, positioned so that it blows directly into the CPU fan...Adding a blow-hole in the top with a fan sucking the hot air out will also help alot...

If you can't add more fans, either get another case or just remove the side off the case and leave it off...Whatever you need to do to get the temps down to where you are comfortable with them...

Keep us posted... ;)

OP
irish80122

irish80122

DAGO said:
Usually if you remove the side of the case and see a drastic change in temps it means that you need to improve the airflow in your case...
If you can add a couple of fans for intake and exhaust, you should see an improvement. You could cut a hole in the side of the case and add a fan there, positioned so that it blows directly into the CPU fan...Adding a blow-hole in the top with a fan sucking the hot air out will also help alot...

If you can't add more fans, either get another case or just remove the side off the case and leave it off...Whatever you need to do to get the temps down to where you are comfortable with them...

Keep us posted... ;)

Well the thing is that I really didn't see a big decrease, at least on the MB reading which is the one I am worried about. Is a mid 40 reading on my MB sensor bad?

DAGO

Curmudgeon
Your temps actually seem fine to me, even the Mobo temps...
I usually don't worry til the temps get over 50C on the CPU, and really have never seen System temps get high enough to worry about...My present temps while Folding are 46C (CPU) and 29C (System). Unless you are having stability problems, I wouldn't worry too much about your present temps...

DAGO

Curmudgeon
Whenever I've found MB temps exceeding those of the CPU, I usually check to see if the sensors are set up wrong and the temps are actually switched...Do you use Motherboard Monitor???

OP
irish80122

irish80122

Yes I do, but I think these may be accurate, because they were until I put on a new fan, and that shouldn't change anything. I went from a 4500 RPM fan to a 6500 RPM fan blowing on the heatsink, and it has made a huge difference.

schismspeak

most likely the temp sensors are switched around. how may harddrives and cdroms alltogether because your temp sensor could be near those and that would be another reason or the higher sys temp, but really i wouldnt worry bout it.