• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MBR boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spazztic_Killer

I think my MBR is messed and I have tried to to a recover console but it requires me to log in to system as a admin with a password. But i know there is not a password on the windows. The os is XP and there is 2 hdd in the pc both with xp and messed up MBR's and one of them are bad hdd so I tried to dupe the bad one and i Used a program called Macrium Reflect i word or seemed to work great but it asked me to copy over the mbr from the IMG of the bad hdd i think it went all bad after that ??

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
If you're already made the copy, then you should unplug the bad HDD to simplify things.

When you boot from the Windows XP setup disk and go to recovery console, it'll ask you to choose a Windows installation. Put in "1" and hit enter. Then it'll prompt for an administrator password. You're saying that leaving that admin password blank and hitting enter doesn't work?

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
It won't fix anything, but it will help you know what Windows installation you're fixing when you go into the Recovery Console. If you have two cloned drives, it's going to be tough to figure out which one the system has decided will be C: and which is D:.