• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCW50 or DD MAZE4 GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anvil82

What is the better waterblock for a video card (9500 pro).

I can't seem to find a review comparing the two. Has anyone used both?

Here's my current setup:

Mag3
Dtek WW
1/2" ID clreaflex 60
Big Ford Econoline Radiator

Will the small connections of the mcw50 restrict more than the maze4?

Last edited:

Rokk1972

another vote for the maze 4, I have 2 of em, and they keep my 5900U and 5950U in the upper 20 to low 30 deg C range (even under load) The only time I saw a spike of 39 deg C was during the last explosion on aquamarks 2003

kouch

yeah I think I am going to buy a maze 4 for gpu too but I have heard on some places that maze 3 was better for gpu than maze 4.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
The Swiftech is copper as well. Either block should pretty much keep your video card at ambient. Literally. A GPU's load is not too much for either waterblock. However, I'd say that the MCW-50 would be a better choice, as it is far less flow restrictive, allowing whatever other components you're watercooling to run cooler.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Not to doubt your point in any way Gautam, but out of curiosity, have you done any personal testing or do you have a link to a review that shows this?

windwind

Registered
I just went to swiftech web site to have a look, found that ll Swiftech waterblocks, including MCW50, are all copper base with Aluminum housing.

As for Gautam's flowrate claim, I have the same doubt. BillA's graph showed that Maze4 has lower resistance than MCW5002 (in fact maze4 has the lowest resistance among all the tested blocks). Both Maze4gpu and MCW50 is the mini-version of their big brother, so I do not expect Maze4gpu to have greater resistance than MCW50.

MoreGooder

I use the MCW50 on my AIW 9800 pro. Works like a champ, and I have great flow. I used 1/2" barb inserts that Swiftech sells. Even though the inserts reduce the opening into the block, I have great flow. Perhaps just a short distance of flow at a reduced ID is less constrictive than people's intuition dictates. The rest of my system is 1/2" ID.

Suma

Well, I'd prefer staying with 1/2"ID all the way. It's not like the Maze4 is worse then the MCW50 IMO it's better. I see that u use an AIW card, so your problem is the space I guess the maze4 GPU is bigger. Well I love mine, nothing can change that.

I'd say that: If you're able to fit a Maze4 GPU use it, if not go with the Swifty. That's MHO.

Suma.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I don't have any doubt in Gautam's claim that the MCW50 achieves better flowrates, since I have no idea which one would be better. Just like any enthusiast, I like to see results for myself. :)

As for the aluminum housing...I believe the Maze4 uses one as well. They're both anodized, so they shouldn't present any corrosion issues.

windwind

Registered
NO, Maze4 or Maze4GPU for that matter, DO NOT have use Al housing. It's either the plastic or copper top.

Where you got the info about maze4 using Al housing? I do want to know. :rolleyes:

Edit: Anodization DOES NOT completely eliminate battery effect. What it does is slow down the process.

Suma

Plastic? - Nah, it's probably anodized al.
If you'll use a nice mix of antyfreeze, you should be fine.

Suma.

ninety6

Registered
Suma said:
Plastic? - Nah, it's probably anodized al.
If you'll use a nice mix of antyfreeze, you should be fine.

Suma.
f

I just found out about this info also on my Maze4 GPU. I'm using 10% dex-cool. Should I add 5% more of it or is 10% fine?

new12.jpg

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
I would up it to 15-20% - just to be safe ;)

I bought the Swiftech MCW 50 myself, but I only chose it because I found a lighly used one for $20 (Canadian Currency) ! :eek:. It is not installed yet, but I have the 1/2" ID hose inserts for it, and they look like they will do a good job of decreasing restriction. I'm waiting for my pump to arrive in the mail before testing however.

I would have gotten the Maze 4, with a Poly top, so that there would be no Aluminum (Anodized or otherwise) in my system, but the price I found on the Swifty was irresistable. The swifty also looks to have a very low flow restriction, as the water doesn't have to "travel" as far. I have no proof of this though.

OT: Does anyone understand why Swiftech uses Aluminum tops? Copper, or Poly would work just as well, and look nicer too IMO ;).

ninety6

Registered
Unfortunately, a Maze4 GPU block with polytop does not exist :( I'll add more dex-cool in my loop tonight.