• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

me and my trusty celleron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodius613

Registered
:beer:
well i am using a dfi mobo that has settings on the board for bus speed and multiplyer and is capable of using a 370 cpu or a slot 1 cpu. one thing i found is that the intel chips i have used bypas these setting and use their own. by just changes using the bios i can only change it from a 66 to a 75 bus but.... i got an adapter to put my 370 chip in the slot 1 and with a little soldering work i added a jumper so i can use default chip settings or my mobo bus. I still haven't been able to do anything with the multiplyer or vcore but hey i am now using a celleron 700 (66 bus 10.5 multiplyer) running at 1050 (100 bus 10.5 multiplyer) it was running fine with the stock fan but i wasn't gona take the chance when dealing with that small of a cooling surface(celleron only has a surface the size of a dime that touches the heatsink, so i got a global win rated for a 1.5Ghz and haven't had one problem with it since. I just aquired a TEC and thinking of grinding down the heatsink to set it into the heatsink and epoxying it to the heatsink. hopefully with this i am going to put the celleron on roids and jump it to a 1.4GHz(133 bus 10.5 mult).. then if that work try my bios setting of 144bus to achieve a 1.51GHz..got any info to help me achieve my goals it would be apreciated
:D :burn: :eek:

How many Watts is your TEC going to have?
You certainly know that you HS will have to dissipate the Heat generated from the TEC as well as from the CPU. This can easily result in 150+ watts. Something which only the very best HS can dissipate. What model is your HS exatly? Copper or aluminium?

the TEC i just got is an 80Watt and my HS is a Globalwin aluminum. I am also thinking of getting an adapter to change the fan on the HS from a 60mm to an 80mm so i can get more airflow onto the HS.

Here is an idea i had thismorning while taking a shower.....

If i take my spare case (full tower) and adapt it to hold a second power supply i have sitting in the closet (at 200w) so i can have an independant power suply to run all the fans and my TEC and only run the computer and hardware off of the main power supply (atx 330w) ... think it is a good plan or just a waist of time?
:beer: :eek: :burn:

Its definitely a good idea... as long as you have a good quality PSU that is supplying the correct voltage in the first place..... but if you have a TEC you should definitely run a scond PSU to help distribute the load.

i just found a mobo that has a soft menu in the bios that i can adjust the bus from 66-248 in 1 mhz increments and the multiplyer up to 12x.

the problem is its an auction from another person and i was wondering if it is worth me taking the risk about his discription about what it can do..

oh yea he says its new and still in box..

:eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Prodius613 said:
i just found a mobo that has a soft menu in the bios that i can adjust the bus from 66-248 in 1 mhz increments and the multiplyer up to 12x.

the problem is its an auction from another person and i was wondering if it is worth me taking the risk about his discription about what it can do..

oh yea he says its new and still in box..

:eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

what mobo is this?

Soyo SY-7VDA Socket 370 for Celeron and Pentium FC-PGA CPU's. Soft menu in Bios to set CPU parameters. Bus speed from 66-to-248 Mhz in 1Mhz steps in BIOS. Core voltage adjustable from -0.1 to +0.4 in BIOS. Multiplier adjustable in BIOS upto 12x. 2 IDE ports for 4 devices upto ultra DMA 100. Via Apollo Pro chip set. 3 DDR slots for upto 1.5Ghz memory. On board audio. 5 PCI slots. 1 AGP slot. PS2 keyboard and mouse ports. 1 Parallel and 2 serial ports

quoted directly from the auction

Welcome to the forums prodius613!

that's a good board, but rather old. It uses DDR RAM, but DDR really doesn't help Celerons/P3s much and costs much more than SDRAM. Board's worth maybe $50 tops in my opinion.

If you want a Soyo, try for the 7BA133U board instead, it's almost the same thing but with a newer chipset and it supports Tualatin Celerons. For sale here. The new Tualatin Celerons pretty much kick the rear of any other S370 CPUs.

Don't worry about the multiplier- you cannot change the multiplier on Intel CPUs, no matter what. It's been permanently locked at the factory since the middle days of the Pentium 2.

ACTUALY I WANT A MAINBOARD THAT CAN DO THE SAME THING WITH THE PROCESSOR BUT ISNT A SOYO.

I HATE SOYO WITH A PASSION..
FIRST MOBO WAS A SOYO HATED THEM EVER SINCE..

I JUST WANT THE CPU ADJUSTABILITY THE REST I COULD CARE LESS.

Congrulation on the modificaton

But educate me, what is TEC????

Honestly I don't think Celeron 700 will hit 133fsb, even if you have it submerge in Feron.

But you never know, keep us posted on your progress

Is your Celeron 700 a Step cC0 or a cB0?

My is a step cB0, and it needs a copper heatsink to stabilized at 1050mhz.

update:

i just got in my TEC and my cyber cooler (p4 modified) cube

surface had been lapped and polished and bracket adapted for the TEC thickness.i will keep posted

peter007:
a TEC, also known as a peltier, is a useful overclockers tool. TEC stands for Thermo-electric cooler. One side gets very hot, the other side gets very cold. Basically, the cooler the chip, the more you can get from it. There's some info on peltiers on the main page. They aren't for newbies.

I was running the Celeron 700 in a good old Abit BH6 1.01 w/ a slot 1 to 370 adaptor, FSB @ 103 (1082) worked fine next step up was FSB 112 (1176) which would post but wouldn't boot to windows. Using the bios flash trick I was able to get more voltate (2.20) I belive but it wouldn't run windows.

Now I'm running an Abit VH6-II with the Celeron 700 @ v1.90 and FSB @ 108 (1134MHz). Using a copper heatsink and artic silver 3...
Runs great with FPS games but 15-20mins into a stratagy game(War Craft 3beta, Battle Realms, ect.) and it would reboot. Dropping to the FSB to 103 (1082) stops it from rebooting.

FSB @ 109 (1145) boots into Win XP but FPS games crash...

Anyone know a mod I can do to get more voltage?
I'd like to see if I can go any higher...

Thanks.

If you couldn't do anything with 2.2V then you cant do anything else with more volts. That's just ridiculous. I will guess your temps are somewhere between 40-45C. If they are higher than that then you should look into better airflow for your case. That may also improve stability @1145

Back