• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

me wants a Radeon9700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SafirXP

Before I get into the details I want to clear up some stuff. I'm living in Bangladesh, so not much is available here. So my options are very limited! I'll be talking about stuff in our currency - Taka/TK(US $1= 60Taka approximately).

Anyways, I'm interested in buying a new graphics card. There are two options. An MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB, which costs around TK16000. And there's another store who can get me an HIS Radeon 9700 card. As these people don't have much knowledge about what they sell, he can't actually tell me the exact model & specifications until I actually make the order.

I am assuming its the HIS Excalibur Radeon 9700 PRO card reviewed at THG! Has anyone had any experience with this brand? Cause I'm not sure what to do. I know that the Radeon 9700, PRO or not, will decimate the GF4 Ti4200. Please advise...:confused:

OC Noob

You didn't mention the price difference. How much does the 9700 pro cost and is price a factor in your decision?

ps I think all 9700 pros have pretty much the same specs.

OP
SafirXP

SafirXP

Ooops, sorry! It costs TK19000. 3000 more than the GF4 Ti4200. Plus I think I can get it down to TK18000, as I'm an old customer of that store.

The thing I'm worried about is the quality of HIS products. Their Radeon 9000 range is ATI certified. And THG review of it was pretty good. So I'm 60% convinced. I just need some people telling me that its an "okay" brand, like it has no stability or performance issues!

HIS doesn't offer a good software bundle, but it doesn't bother me. I've got all the games & software I need. All I need is a good piece of hardware that is stable & fast! I won't be overclocking it, so OC ability doesn't count either!

OP
SafirXP

SafirXP

Dude TK18000 is around $300!!! <- the price of HIS Radeon 9700 PRO
18000 / 60 = 300 :D

The MSI GF4 Ti4200 costs around $270, from a different shop. The b4st4rds won't decrease the price, eventhough its really cheap elsewhere!

SpyderMatrix

go for the Geforce its better compatible with most games these days as everyone is making games optimized for Nvidia and for the price i would snatch it up

OC Noob

For the price you would snatch it up?!?!

If I caught one of my friends paying $270 for ANY Ti4200 I'd slap him. You must have misunderstood the price...or I did. $270 American right?

Anyway, for $30 more it would be silly not to get the 9700 pro. I mean your really getting A LOT for that $30. You'll be using the lastest version of the catylist drivers and those are solid drivers. I doubt you'll have any problems with it, unless you use stock drivers.

As for the manufactuerer, I've never heard of them. If they are even a second tier producer like Albetron, ECS or one of those other low price brands it will be fine.

What ever you do good luck. And don't buy that Ti4200 unless you an get it for a reasonable price like sub $200 American;)