• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mean well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok I was thinking of changing and relocate the LED in my Mean Well PSU. One thing is it ok to use a 3.7 volt led to use. I know most use a 3.3volt when changing their LED but I couldn't find one here in town. Could anything go wrong with using this.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Nope, no problem at all.
You'd have to have a light meter to be able to tell a difference between the two.

JasonKosi

If you run the LED at a lower voltage than it's rating, it just won't be as bright. If you run it at a higher voltage it'll be brighter, hotter, and have a shorter lifespan.

I had an LED that ran at around 3.7v plugged into a 5V source. It was really bright heated up to over 60C in just a few seconds. After that, I stuck a 100Ohm resistor between the negative lead on the LED and the negative power terminal and it works great.