• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mechanical drive vibrating in external enclosure help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OCers,

I recently picked up a pair of Orico usb 3.0 external enclosures similar to this. Im looking for a safe and easy way to secure the drive down to stop the vibration. I've noticed that when I apply downward pressure its fine but I'm not sure what materials I can use. Any help is appreciated!

done12many2

Hey OCers,

I recently picked up a pair of Orico usb 3.0 external enclosures similar to this. Im looking for a safe and easy way to secure the drive down to stop the vibration. I've noticed that when I apply downward pressure its fine but I'm not sure what materials I can use. Any help is appreciated!

Is it only doing it with a certain drive size? I would imaging that you could insert some type of dampening material between the sides of a 3.5" drive and the external enclosure. Something as simple as a strip of electrical tape or padded tape has worked miracles for me in the past.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Is it the drive vibrating on the enclosure or the enclosure vibrating on the table?

OP
M

MunkyTOS

The drive itself is vibrating in the enclosure. Perhaps a thin piece of adhesive foam attached to the enclosure? Or just taping it down with some material since I wont be removing it from the enclosure any time soon.

ATMINSIDE

I would use some small pieces of adhesive backed rubber to isolate the vibration, personally.

OP
M

MunkyTOS

Hmm perhaps something like this? That or maybe something along the lines of adhesive rubber feet. I've seen some at work that we use for some of the electronic buttons we've been working on.

ATMINSIDE

Yeah that should work, just make sure it won't be too thick.