• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Medal of Honor review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrianAbington

Registered
I have made it through Medal of Honor and would like to share how I feel about the game so far. (have not stepped into multiplayer yet)

I love the story line, because it is deeply based in reality.

MOH opens with satellite chatter that switches between news coverage of the 9/11 attacks and military operatives discussing who did it and were to look for them.

From there the game starts rather slowly. This makes sense because you are in Afghanistan only days after 9/11 and are starting the search for the guilty party.

From there the game picks up quickly and you are thrown into battle. Sneak by or go loud, you occasionally get the choice, and this keeps the game challenging.

But not too much so...

Game play I feel needed alot of work before release.

The AI is kind of dumb, you can step out into the open and be surrounded by enemy and only one of them will shoot at you. Same for your partners, the other tier one guys do pretty well, but the regular army guys often leave everything up to you only taking a few kills for themselves.

There are times that you finish an objective then have no destination indicator, and there is no audible clue as to what you need to do next, or if there is a prompt as to what to do, your guys do the exact opposite. So it leaves you lost for a few moments. I have had several times were I have to walk off on my own to find were to go next, and the only clue that I am going in the right direction is my team starting to follow me.

As an example,After I cleared out the mortar teams, on mission 2, one of my guys said "inside the building", then the 3 of them took cover behind crates in front of the building leaving me uncertain of if we were supposed to go inside, or if they saw something inside we needed to take cover from.

There is also some weird team spawn glitches I have noticed.

In the previous scenario, I swept the first floor by myself and realized I probably needed to go up the stairs on the side of the building. I was the first one to head up, and when I entered the upper floor of the building my guys were already inside looking out the windows pointing out the snipers on the building across the way.

Back on the first mission I had an enemy in cover behind a truck, I worked my way up closer to try to work around to a better line of sight, when suddenly one of my guys spawned right behind the truck, and started shooting the guy from about 3 ft away...and was not hitting him.

I noticed this in Bad Company 2 as well were the AI on your team will some times shoot towards a certain enemy just to point out the location but its up to you to get the kill.

Also you can be putting down a stream of suppressing automatic fire and your guys will walk right in front of you and then get mad because you shot them. Or they crowd into were you are taking cover and are so close that you glitch inside them, your shots fired from inside them counts as a friendly fire hit.

I am ok with the vehicle missions, however my complaint with the EA/Dice games is the sensitivity, they need to have sensitivity controls that are separate for vehicles and for first person mode.
I play FPS games with my sensitivity set really high, however this setting for the ATV missions makes them impossible to drive, I have to reduce the sensitivity 3/4th's of the way just to make these missions possible.

Also the light engine is weak, MW2 was way easier to setup the brightness settings.

With MOH though I have to adjust it constantly from night missions to day missions. Don't get me wrong, my 360 is hooked up by HDMI to my fully calibrated Plasma TV. Most games, except the ones using the adjustment system on the EA/Dice games look perfect...set it and forget it.

However there is such a difference between the way the two lighting senarios look that if you adjust it to be able to see what you are doing on the night missions everything looks hazy on the day missions. This goes beyond the ambience of night, or fog or dust...its an imperfect engine.

Also the explosions look like they were put in for design testing and they forgot to put in the final explosion animations they designed for the finished game.

On the whole though, I like the game. I like the destructible environments, I like the realistic "hit damage", I also like that you can slide into cover behind objects all though it is easy to slide past the cover and be out in the open.
I also like being able to lean out from cover like you could do on the classic MOH games.

I also think they did an exceptional job on the sound production. The guns, and explosions sound great.

This game is emotional. The music plays a very important part and works like a good movie score to build up what is happening.

Listen to the music in the Helmand valley segment when you are surrounded, it plays off what the characters are discussing perfectly.

Final thoughts.
As critical as the dialog is for this game it is excessively profane and often has a lack of depth and a tendency to state the obvious that makes it feel like a team of top script writers for the Lifetime network tried their hand at a war movie.

I love it because of the story and the characters are guys you would want fighting by your side.

I don't like it because it feels like a game that had a release date set and had to be rushed into a final product to meet that deadline.

The result is a fun game with alot of really annoying imperfections.

6.5 out of 10.

I'm still playing it and have enjoyed it thusfar. I haven't ventured into Multi-player as well. I pretty much suck at MP.

I like the way it feels, I don't know why every game should feel like COD. There are a few bugs however I have only played the multiplayer and what time I have played I liked it. No problems that a few patches couldn't fix.

I'm serious when I ask this so hopefully no fanboys will try to shout me down:

Does this game bring anything new or interesting to a very tired genre?

I'm serious when I ask this so hopefully no fanboys will try to shout me down:

Does this game bring anything new or interesting to a very tired genre?

Tired indeed. Just another reason for SuperEliteSpecialRangerForcesWannabes to spend $60 again.

As far as game play, the ablity to slide into cover is really handy, I also like the ability to lean out of cover like you could in the old games.

The button configuration is pretty much the same as all other games but there are some differences because of the ability to lean.

It can be a bit akward to hold down the left shoulder button to lean, and the left trigger to look down the sights if you are not used to using two fingers on the same side at the same side. I can see a 360 controller modified with a button under neath being useful for this.

Graphics wise, it is nothing amazing...not at all, the unreal engine it is created with is crap.

Story wise, if you like to learn more of the legend about the Tier one guys who were in Afghanistan before the american public even knew we had troops there, and then the army who soon followed after...this is the game for you.

It is based in reality, so you do get the emotional connection to the guys, and the ending I have a hunch it has a bit of truth to it.

From what I have seen from more detailed reviews ( that finished SP and played MP ) is that the game is a 7/10 at best. I tried the MP beta and it was pretty horrible. Very lack luster. The MP seems like Dice took BC2 and tried to make it more like MW2 with small maps and kill streaks.

I played the MP on MOH for a couple hours last night.

Some maps are really hard to see what you are looking at. I felt my eyes burning from the straining trying to see my targets. Again, I'm affraid its the unreal engine the game is built on.

I forget what the mode is called but the one were a side has to advance on and capture 5 objectives is alot of fun. That is honestly the only mode I play now.

Im afraid MoH disgraced the whole franchise of great MoH games before it and is now awarded the Medal of Yawner. =/

Haven't tried the Single Player yet but I'm really liking the Multiplayer. Feels like a cross between the new COD and Battlefield Games. Needs a few bug fixes and some more maps.

Haven't tried the Single Player yet but I'm really liking the Multiplayer. Feels like a cross between the new COD and Battlefield Games. Needs a few bug fixes and some more maps.

How? It doesn't have vehicles does it? The last few CoD games are all practically the same. I think the public somehow feels they need to spend 60 bucks on yet another Modern FPS every 6-12 months that offers nothing new.

How? It doesn't have vehicles does it? The last few CoD games are all practically the same. I think the public somehow feels they need to spend 60 bucks on yet another Modern FPS every 6-12 months that offers nothing new.

Or buy a new CoD game every 6-8 months... +2

How - Plays faster than BattleField BC2 more like CODMW2 but with dedicated servers

I spend 60 Bucks on what I want too (No burning need here), even if thats sometimes just basically new maps with some gameplay changes.

/shrug everything I've seen is that it is a neutered version of BC2 and a neutered version of MW2 combined.

Back