• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media in RH9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Just got Red Hat running somewhat happily and am trying to play my MP3s and mpeg 1 videos but when I try to open an MP3 it says red hat has disabled this feature or something equivelant to that. It's trying to use xmms but nothing has worked that i've tried has worked. Mpegs are recognized as video files as well but can't be played WTF? A little help will go a long way.

OP
kaltag

kaltag

Xmms is already installed but I reinstalled via rpm and it still does the same thing. To give a little more description when I open xmms ad try to open a file in its file browse it goes back to to the player but nothing happens. The soundcard is detected also so I know that isb't the problem.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I believe that Redhat do not include the MP3 codec with their releases because of the licence as such installing a full xmms solves the problem as this has the correct codecs, unless you install from a Redhat crippled xmms rpm

Titan386

I was under the impression that the RPM I linked to was made to enable MP3 support in Red Hat 9. Did you install it? I don't have a red hat system around to test it, sorry.

OP
kaltag

kaltag

yeah I tried it but didn't work still. gonna try a few more things and see what I can do. thanks for the help so far :)

Titan386

I was pretty sure that a rpm exists that allows for MP3s to be played in RH 9, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, installing XMMS from source should fix your problem. Get it from http://www.xmms.org/ .

OP
kaltag

kaltag

Well I finally got xmms to install and now it plays the first second of nay song but then stops and freezes and hangs until I logout and back it. I have tried the Linux drivers from realtek and via for the onboard sound this mobo has. Any ideas how get this taken care of? It's the VT8233 AC97 audio controller according to Red hats sound card detection utility. thank you.