• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory amount in Mandrake 8.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Hi guys. I just recently put Mandrake 8.2 on an old server I was given. It installed perfectly and is running but it's very sluggish. Now the server is a quad-capable P-pro but it currently has only one 200mhz cpu (and not the good 1meg cache P-pro, the 256k version) so I expect it to be slow but it seemed to be overly slow to me. I went into the Mandrake Control Center to look around to see what was what and in the Memory sub-section of the hardware section it says I've only got 13megs of ram. The server actually has 384 megs. Now I've played with Linux so little that I'm a bit lost as to how to make sure it has access to the full amount of ram, and since the processor is so slow it takes forever to try to find anything with the help files. So can anyone give me a quick pointer into how to double check how much ram the OS is detecting and using?

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Hehe. Another mod falls into the Linux trap.
To find out how much memory you've got and what you're using, open a terminal emulator (ie gnome-terminal or konsole) and type either free -m, which will tersely tell you what you're after, or try cat /proc/meminfo if you want something more verbose.

I've got a dual PPro (also 256k) with 256MB ram. It's uncannily adequate for non-demanding stuff (surfing, music and programming/compiling, although kernel recompiles are a little pokey) with windowmaker as the window manager, and it does a great job as a fileserver. If you're using Gnome or KDE (especially KDE), you should consider a lighter windowmanager. KDE and Gnome are pretty, but it's not worth the appearance if you have to wait 5 minutes for the GUI to load.

Bigdogbmx

I know this isnt a helpful post in the thread, but I have a dual p133 server with 160mb ram, and its the slowest thing ever on redhat 9.1. Is it likely due to the memory issue as well, because I know that 133mhz is very slow but in win2k its actually just about as fast as this machine for general browsing etc, probably due in part to the SCSI drives which I assume are still faster than normal by a little even if they are well outdated.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Bigdogbmx said:
I know this isnt a helpful post in the thread, but I have a dual p133 server with 160mb ram, and its the slowest thing ever on redhat 9.1. Is it likely due to the memory issue as well, because I know that 133mhz is very slow but in win2k its actually just about as fast as this machine for general browsing etc, probably due in part to the SCSI drives which I assume are still faster than normal by a little even if they are well outdated.

Please start a new thread. I don't want to hijack eobard's. He might ban me. ;)

The short answer is that redhat is a bloated distro by default. If that computer is all you have for Linux, you'll need to run something sleeker like Debian or stop anything extra running in the background. Redhat runs several daemons by default (try nmap localhost to see what ports are open), and stopping the ones you don't want might give you enough of a performance boost to make your system tolerably fast. If you need more info, do a search or start a new thread.

OP
E

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Christoph said:

Please start a new thread. I don't want to hijack eobard's. He might ban me. ;)

The short answer is that redhat is a bloated distro by default. If that computer is all you have for Linux, you'll need to run something sleeker like Debian or stop anything extra running in the background. Redhat runs several daemons by default (try nmap localhost to see what ports are open), and stopping the ones you don't want might give you enough of a performance boost to make your system tolerably fast. If you need more info, do a search or start a new thread.
I don't mind a mild detour, it happens to everyone.

OP
E

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Ok I just confirmed that the system thinks I have a grand total of 13megs of ram in this system. I have 384. So is there some kind of presumed default limit or something that I need to override? Is having more than 256meg screwing the setup up?

OP
E

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Fixed it, just incase anyone wants to know I forced it to detect all 384 in GRUB.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the pentium pro 200 is the problem speedwise. I ran 8.2 on a p2 333 and it was decent browse the internet but not do a whole lotta else speed. 9.2 runs good on a dual p2 450 but take about 3 hours to install.

OP
E

eobard

Give me a break Senior
No it was the memory, it was detecting only the first 16megs, it was so slow that it would take at least 5 minutes (with the hard drive swapping the whole time) just to open a console. Now that it's seeing the whole 384megs it gone from "shoot me" to "slow"

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Hehe. All you need now are 3 more of those PPro's... :) I think you can even mismatch speeds and cache sizes. Flounder43 has/had something similar.

OP
E

eobard

Give me a break Senior
SickBoy said:
Hehe. All you need now are 3 more of those PPro's... :) I think you can even mismatch speeds and cache sizes. Flounder43 has/had something similar.
Yeah I know I went looking at back-posts. I've a Proliant 5000, it's like Flounders but its not in some monsterous case, just a really big tower. It can have mixed CPUs, but they have to be paired so one matched set on the first CPU daughter card and then a second matched set on the second daughter card, but the sets don't have to match each other. I was watching an ebay auction for a matching pair of 512k cache chips, with daughter card and voltage regulators for cheap but I by the time I had figured out that the system as I have it isn't fubared (I wasn't going to buy some add-ons for a system that was screwed beyond repair) the auction ended.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
i have a dell poweredge 6100/200 with a pentium pro in it that im using as a printerstand. Its about the same size as erics case. I've never bothered to turn it on. not really worth it.