• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory causing fps issues in games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it will run ok on a single stick like the last ram, I'd RMA the motherboard.
I was leaning toward the board on your last set.

Well I decided to go to the Asus website to look up their info specifically. The memory I bought, both sets actually, are not on the QVL sheet at all for my motherboard. Other kinds are. I'm guessing the QVL sheet is the list of memory that has been matched and tested successfully, right?

I mean I would think that if it's not on the sheet then it's not supported? I'm going to return this memory and buy a set specifically on the sheet. If it works then I'll know it was my fault. If I have problems again I will RMA the board.

The QVL list only shows what was tested and works. If it is not on the list it either wasn't tested, or not compatible. Typically memory works if it's not on the list as so few are truly incompatible.

Well, three sets of DRAM and none of them work properly. I'm going to contact Asus for support and to possibly RMA the board next. What a nightmare... Is there any way this could be a CPU issue and is there a way for me to test it before I go without a PC for a couple of weeks?

Edit: after making this post I found another thread that mentioned using the intel processor diagnostic tool online from the intel site so I used that to see if it would fail the IMC part of the test. The intel diagnostic passed all tests. I think the board needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
I emailed Asus to start the RMA and they wanted me to try something. They told me to take the CMOS battery out and clear it then set the memory settings manually. That apparently did the trick. So far everything is stable. Going to run some more tests and see but it's fine so far. Very strange and wondering if I should still try to get a new board?

Asus is garbage, I did not have to remove the Bios battery and set the memory settings manually on the Gigabyte Z170 HD3 for 3200 Speed memory. However if it is working well now just leave it be.

Last edited:
I emailed Asus to start the RMA and they wanted me to try something. They told me to take the CMOS battery out and clear it then set the memory settings manually. That apparently did the trick. So far everything is stable. Going to run some more tests and see but it's fine so far. Very strange and wondering if I should still try to get a new board?

That just tells me that XMP doesn't work on the board.

What did you set the memory timings also the sub timings to? Here is mine 14-14-14-34-48-25-12-6-7-4-9-4-7-560-12-39-2

It's still not right IMO. Will be calling Asus tomorrow since I'm off of work. Went to restart tonight and it wouldn't post. Did a hard restart and it gave me a message saying "Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter setup." This was with no CPU overclock. I'll need to get a new board. For what it's worth, the only timings I changed were the standard timings. 15-17-17-35 as specified by the memory and the QVL for the board. I got the computer to start up with the memory at the right settings but who knows if it will start up properly without me needing to hard restart or change the BIOS again? Not going to deal with it anymore. I'll go back to Gigabyte as I had one for four years and had zero issues.

How does the PC work at default Bios settings with memory speed defult 2133 15-15-15-36?

It works just fine. No problems during that time. It was actually working just fine with the memory set manually up until I tried to restart it.

Apparently there was a BIOS update posted just before Thanksgiving that "fixed stability issues" and the Asus rep on the phone had me install the update. Everything seems to be working just fine now. Currently running at 4.5 GHz CPU and 3000 MHz DDR4 with good timings according to the specs. Restarts just fine. They said they were having issues with 6700k i7s running too fast at shut down and the system wasn't resetting properly during a soft reset. Not sure, but their BIOS update seems to have fixed my issues. Will keep an eye on it and see if it changes. Will be running some stresses tonight.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread! You all have given me great ideas and helped a lot! What a good community here!

Last edited:
Asus is garbage, I did not have to remove the Bios battery and set the memory settings manually on the Gigabyte Z170 HD3 for 3200 Speed memory. However if it is working well now just leave it be.

Their motherboards are excellent, generally speaking, but you will get a bad apple now and then as you will with Gigabyte or any other brand. What is garbage is Asus' customer support when you try to RMA a board. But then, none of the major motherboard manufacturers get good ratings for that.

Their motherboards are excellent, generally speaking, but you will get a bad apple now and then as you will with Gigabyte or any other brand. What is garbage is Asus' customer support when you try to RMA a board. But then, none of the major motherboard manufacturers get good ratings for that.

If you go buy what you said there is no difference in quality of a brand, however in real life there is always a difference in quality of a brand.

Your putting words in my mouth. To say that you will get a few bad apples now and then with any brand does not preclude some brands producing more bad apples than others. Personally, I have found MSI to produce more bad apples than the others but even at that it's probably a small percentage of the total boards that MSI sells.

Anecdotes...

Not anecdotal - http://www.hardware.fr/articles/944-2/cartes-meres.html

- ASUS 1.89% (against 2.43%)
- Gigabyte 2.05% (against 2.96%)
- ASRock 2.08% (against 2.61%)
- MSI 2.55% (against 2.82 %)

Let's break that down....under a microscope, holy cow is msi bad compared to asus almost 25% worse!!!! And then we zoom out to reality and see that from best to worst is a .5% difference with all of these makers. All of them have over 97% 'success' rates. So when it comes down to it, the chances of something happening vary so little, it's really almost a useless metric to go off of.

Can't wait to see the latest release of this article. :)

Doesn't show it by brand... but a cool little link. :)

Asus still isn't garbage (your link actually lists only asus boards as most reliable, lol), and the msi rate, while slightly higher is still very low overall, like all brands.

Last edited:
Back