• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
someone told me that i can't get over 140 FSB because i have cheap memory that won't let me. So here is my memory that i have in it. I was under the impression this was good from what i read.

Kingston Technology
KVR333x64c25/512
512MB 333Mhz DDR 2700 Dimm

I just ordered a SLK 800 A, artic silver 3, and Artic silver epoxy

I am going to be changing my CPU HSF, add ramsinks to RAM, new GPU cooler, South and northbridge sinks, and sinks to ram on vid card. Thats why i ordered the epoxy.

Which is my next question. When i apply the epoxy for GPU, ram ect, does it take a lot? cover whole chip? do i have to put thermal paste on it too? thanks a ton!

All you need is the thermal epoxy. You want to put on enough to cover the whole GPU, or Ram module but under certain conditions it can conduct electricity so watch how much you use. I would let it dry at least over night on a flat surface. You will want to press it down slightly so as to push out the air bubbles. You may want to wipe the excess off from around it. Well I hope this helps you. Happy overclocking!

I would suggest thermal pads over epoxy. epoxy is permanent and pads are not and the difference between thier thermal transfer is minimal. you RAM should definately be able to run above 140Fsb, I have the Crucial Economy PC2100 and i have that running at 152Fsb. Coling them will definately help. also check in your BIOS that you have the voltage as high as it needs to be on the chips and the CPU as they will both require more if you overclocking the FSB.
Hope this helps,
DoM

When applying thermal epoxy, use as little as possible. You don't want any of that goop to spill over the sides onto the PCB. Try to apply it like any other thermal paste and make a thin translucent layer over the chips; using thermal paste is not needed as the epoxy does transfer heat quite well.

Back