• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory just failed prime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

I have 2 x 512mb or ram. one Corsiar XMS pc3200C2PT, and one Corsair XMS pc3500C2PT. they were at 200fsb, with the timings of 2.5-3-3-11 with 2.6 stock voltage.
It just failed prime95 after 6 hours and 30 minutes. Now should i change something or leave it be. Everything else is fine, i get no crashes playing games.

Blueboy1986

Most people would consider that solid. But other people wouldnt want to live with the fact that thier computer is "rock solid". Its all a matter of preference. If u play no games and experience no othe problems then i see why there is any reason to change anything

OP
BIB

BIB

well my bios does not have an option for 199 fsb, so i switched it to 198 and it ran prime without errors for 11 hours and 30 minutes.
next i will try 200fsb again but raise the ram volts a little.

JKeefe

Prime is testing the CPU more than the memory. Since both your CPU and your memory are running at stock timings that should be stable, there is a decent chance that there's something wrong with your CPU. There's no way to tell using Prime.

I would run memtest86; it is coded to test the memory hard while minimizing the impact the CPU may have on stability (although it can't be entirely eliminated). Also, try running one stick of memory at a time to see if you can isolate the problem.

I would definitely not let this go. Bad memory can slowing corrupt an OS installtion by writing bad data back to the system registry over time.

OP
BIB

BIB

well i have not raised the volts yet.

i figured 10x200 = failed (it is like 200.11 so my cpu is at 2004, a little oc)
then 10x198 = passed (both cpu and ram are underclocked)
i am priming now at 11x182 the cpu is at 2004 and the ram is underclocked, so if it fails then it would be my cpu failing with only 4mhz over the stock.