• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory OC - 3800mhz/1900 Infinity Fabric achieved, but high trfc ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sakmeeks

Registered
Hello memory OC'ers. I had some motivation to OC my memory last night and right now I'm at 3800mhz 16-17-17-17 37 with most settings on Auto. Only set dram voltage to 1.37, the VTT to the 1st value over .7 I think it was .702. Changed Infinity Fabric to 1900 and that was it. All other values I left on Auto. Haven't tried going any tighter with timings, because my TRFC value at 666 seems pretty high. I have this value set on Auto and wondering if the value is being set correctly. Searching on the net has led to some interesting reads on how the tech works, but no real comparisons on values for timings on types of memory. Any links to some info would be great. I've already read the Gamers Nexus articles and TechPowerUp articles. If anyone has similar ram timings as me feel like posting their TRFC value I'd appreciate it. I'd like to try and find TRFC values for 32gb ram kits that are 4x8gb and similar timings, but this is harder than it sounds. Maybe it's just the number itself 666 that's bugging me and it's fine as everything is working great. Thanks for your time.

For reference: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi/Ryzen 3800X/32GB(4x8) Corsair Vengeance/EVGA 1080TI Hybrid SC2/Sabrent 1TB NVME PCIe 4.0/Scythe Mugen 5/Cooler Master H500

The stock XMP for the memory is 18-19-19-19 @ 3600mhz. Samsung b-die

On Samsung RAM, you can tighten the tRFC manually as every memory has it at 560+ at default. Competitive overclocking profiles will have that as low as high 200 but for daily work, you can keep it at ~400 +/- 20 as it's about the best balance between performance and stability.
In real, it doesn't really matter as long as memory is at 3600-3800. General performance won't be any different, maybe +/- 1FPS. So you set sub-timings only to feel better, not because it will help in performance (no matter what people say on various forums).

You can check some of my memory reviews. In average, it's between 1-2% performance difference in multiple benchmarks and games. So when the game has ~100FPS then after memory tweaking is ~101-102FPS. Not sure if it's worth the time out of competitive benchmarking.

Funny is that Corsair is using 666 tRFC in some other kits too. I have 4x8GB DDR4-3800 SODIMM based on Samsung IC and it has 666 too :)

Thanks for your help Woomack! I think it's one of the (many things) I was over thinking while trying to get the best timings/speed I could only that 'never satisfied' feeling was starting to take over. Thanks again for your time.

Memory OC can be fun (if you like that sort of thing) and you can learn a lot about how your RAM affects your rig when you run the benchmarks and stability tests.. The RAM OC in my sig is stable with no thermal issues-and pointless. I did it because I wanted to, not because there was any performance deficit before or gain after for 99% of what I do. My main reason was CPU overclocking was becoming 'click-n-go' and not much fun, while memory tweaking still requires getting your virtual hands dirty. :D

On a philosophical note, I think overclocking is dying. Hardware is so far ahead of software now that it just isn't necessary. That leaves a shrinking group of folks who do it for competition, enjoyment and learning.

Back