• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Question for Asus P6T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzun

I have an Asus P6T Deluxe MB, with 3x2GB G.Skill memory installed and I want to go to 12MB, but am concerned about the next 3x2GB modules compatibility with the older memory I purchased. CPU-Z reports my memory modules as PC3-10700H G.Skill part num F3-12800CL8-2GBHK, but the actual timing my MB is using seems to be DRAM Freq - 667 mhz, CAS 9-9-9-24 1T. They no longer sell this module.

I can find PC 10666-10700 with 9-9-9-24 2T but no 1T memory.

Is it best to just buy all new memory modules of the same type and throw out the 6GB (that would be expensive and wasteful). Or can I put 9-9-9-24 2N/T memory in with the memory I already have and not have stability issues?

-Roger

Juggalo23451

It will be best to find the same ram that has the same mhz and timing as the other ram. Also what are you going to need 12gigs for. 6gigs is enough for gaming unless you are doing some type of editing.

Joeteck

Retired
lol.... 4 gig is enough for gaming.... Anything past that is bragging rights in your sig...

EDIT: I have a Video editing system, and that has 4gig as well, running windows 7 64bit Ultimate... Runs fine!

Disk I/O would be the issue at that point...

OP
U

uzun

I do a lot of video editing, and Premiere Pro CS5 is due to be released in April and I want to be ready for that. They are recommending a minimum of 12 GB of memory for the new version, in fact they even recommend 12GB with CS4.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Right, there are actual uses for it. Running multiple VM's would be another.

Anyway, I would find matching sticks or sell what you currently have to offset the cost of 6x2gb (as 3x4gb are EXPENSIVE last I checked). You can also set the timings manually to the slowest sticks you have to match. I would just make sure the voltage for that particular speed matches and you will be fine. ;)

OP
U

uzun

Sounds like I'm better off just buying 6 new sticks and trying to sell the old ones then, they no longer make memory that's going to be the exact same voltage and timing as these. It's probably worth it just to avoid the hassle. They have 6 patriot sticks with 7 CAS timing fairly cheap at newegg, do people generally avoid patriot memory? I'm tempted to spend a little extra and stick with G.Skill since these have given me no trouble over the years.

Joeteck

Retired
Sounds like I'm better off just buying 6 new sticks and trying to sell the old ones then, they no longer make memory that's going to be the exact same voltage and timing as these. It's probably worth it just to avoid the hassle. They have 6 patriot sticks with 7 CAS timing fairly cheap at newegg, do people generally avoid patriot memory? I'm tempted to spend a little extra and stick with G.Skill since these have given me no trouble over the years.

CS5 also recommends a Quadro 4800 card, better start saving those pennies...

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have heard no concerns with the patriot memory, go for it.

Joeteck

Retired
Keep in mind the Mercury playback engine only works with 4 cards at the moment.. GTX285, Quadro 4800, 5800 and the CX and will support Fermi..

So you have alot of work ahead of you for "being" prepared... lol Plus the purchase of the $1600 program.... Gee wiz...

At least you're getting the RAM out of the way...:shock:

OP
U

uzun

It's only certified for those cards now, but they will be supporting most newer CUDA capable cards before too long. Right now those are the only 4 cards they've explicitly tested with, I'm sure the 295 works as well for example even though it's not listed. They are simply using the CUDA language to implement Mercury.

I have a 285 anyways and I'm hoping they have a decent upgrade price for CS5.

As for the memory it seems I can save myself some potential headache just buying 6 matching sticks.