• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory timings... and Turbo, etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

Hello all, please see my rig below. I would like to increase my memory speeds/timing but not sure the best way to do it. I tried changing the System Performance setting in the BIOS from Normal to Fast and it boots fine but then locks up right after loading Windows. Is this the next step in overclocking my system? Should I manually change some settings instead? I would think my memory would at least let me go to the Fast setting. Thanks in advance :)

Epox 8k5a2+ mobo
Athlon XP 1600+ @166 fsb (1750MHz)
vcore @ 1.8V
256 MB Samsung PC2700
Geforce 3 Ti-200 @200/500

Top Hat Theater

You probably need to manually change settings one at a time to isolate what's causing your ram to not run at the more aggressive settings. Basically, the lower the number, the more aggressive. BTW, if you're only running one stick of RAM, disable bank interleave. Also, increase your Vdimm to 2.8.

~THT

Tarzan

Registered
If you have DTL or DTM memory you should stick to SPD timings. Dont use presets - but you know ;) I can use CAS 2 up to about 175fsb tho, with 2.6v. Problem is module dont react well to more volt - you cant push it further. Same with presets, hopeless. However with use of wpcredit you can use the very same tweaks which turbo take advantage of, weird. Performance not bad at all - you just need to take the long way. That is if you have DTM, DTL but that lockup story ring a bell - tried that dozens of times.

If you can use Turbo or fastest but manually set timings at or close to SPD feel lucky.

Samoyed

I have mine at turbo @ 156 FSB. I also set the NS thing to .5 and every other setting to the fastest. It's 256 mb Corsair 2700XMS. 5-7% 3D mark improvement. My old PNY Cas2.5 memory ran Turbo at 145 fsb and then crashed.

The Corsair module was $110

smudged

I have mine at turbo @ 156 FSB. I also set the NS thing to .5 and every other setting to the fastest. It's 256 mb Corsair 2700XMS. 5-7% 3D mark improvement. My old PNY Cas2.5 memory ran Turbo at 145 fsb and then crashed.

If you can get your FSB up to 166MHz the memory clock should settle back to it's base 166 (333ddr) Then you should be able to get your FSB up to atleast 170MHz without dropping the mem timings. It worked for me any way

Tarzan

Registered
Forgot! If you dont need the fixes in official bios then you MUST use latest beta bios 2909 - that will kick your memory more than any biosmagic. And even if you have DTL it should work just fine. I used that one at 173 with no problems, 2-3-6-3-1. Also added some wpcredit tweaks cause of that little problem with being limited to "normal" - "turbo" changes a few hidden settings which I can use, just not if delivered through presets! Nothing major but if you want all its the only way. Very easy once you have found out what to fiddle with and what to leave alone ;)

Also try "Turbo" but then chose 2-3-6-3 as timings. Will save you from wpcredit experiments. Whatever, at your fsb level beta bios will be best choice by far. Enables a bios setting only Epox can change and for some weird reason they dont want to make it an option so its delivered out the backdoor. Very weird, most other major brands have it I believe. It probably limit max fsb, guess that is why but should think majority can figure out to disable it if needed. Under 166fsb it is enabled in official bios...

Samoyed

I DL WPCREDIT but I have not got a clue as to how to use this. A web search leads me to several articles that I dont get as they are not specific to my chipset.

I do understand that its a tool to change values that affect performance but what values? Are they different for each chipset? I want to enable the thing that makes the CPU cooler.

deeppow

QUALITY LINK deeppow!

Thanks smudged. Wrote that a littly while back when I was trying to figure this stuff out. I probably should update it further since there are several things to add. Someday, maybe I'll have time. :cool: