• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Part of the problem with the 775 stuff is age and second a "good" board is still not cheap. If you watch ebay you might be able to find something reasonable . Look for something with the p45/x48 chipset that takes ddr3 and has a good power section with heatsinks. Probably 150-$200

ok,

I received my new MB today. It is an MSI P45-c51. I have everything hooked up and it's doing the same thing the that my Asusa MB was doing, only this time, the power comes on for a few seconds, then powers down, then back up then back down in a cycle. I'm not able to get it to post.

Apparently, I'm trying to post a pic of the layout of the MB in the case with how it is set up and I am unable too because of the set limit of how big the pic can be.

After looking at the front panel connectors, ?I see that I have connect some in the wrong plce. Nothing that would hurt the MB, but in such a way that it would cycle the power on and off every few seconds. I also have the 1600 RAM in and I will put the 1066 RAM in and get the bios set for the RAM OC. If it doesn't post after this, than I have no idea where to go from there.

That board will support the 1600 ram but only in OC. This means you have to raise the BCLK to get it there and then it may not be stable. I think 1333 will be more realistic which AFIK will still need a raise in the BCLK.

So, then, I need to place the 1066 RAM back in before I go to the BIOS, then set the BIOS and place the 1600 in?

Honestly I don't think you're going to get 1600 ram to work in these low end boards. 1600 ram isn't officially supported that's what the (OC) means in description. If it won't boot in two boards now eith that ram doesn't like the p45 chipset or the low end boards you've had can't deal with it. That ram should boot at 1333 but it's not. What ram kit do you have and have you tried to boot it with just one stick of ram not both?

I'm using crucial 2x4 ram. I'll just try my 1066 ram then.

I couldn't get it to work on the P5E3 board because I messed up and I'm sending it to ASUS for repair. The MSI board, I would understand if it didn't work, but I want to try anyway. It should still post at least? No, I haven't tried with one stick yet.

Do the manuals tell you that it will work with one stick of ram when Overclocking? if not, where do I find that info for the different MB's?

2x4 crucial isn't enough info. It probably was never going to work in the p5E3 either. Just a hunch I have. Some memory just isn't compatible on some platforms. For memory info that relates to motherboard compatibility check the motherboard site for the QVL. It's a list which will tell you what memory "should" work in that particular board. Here's a snip for your P5E3 pro. Honestly with all the $$ you've spent and trouble you're going through I think you would have been further ahed moving up a few generations in PC tech

p5e mem.JPG

Back