• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest86 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

what test should run to see if i am stable?
Last time i went to the test option and did 3 which was all tests.
then how long should i run it?
i know people say about 12 hours for prime95. is that the same for memtest?

elec999

How many test must memtest86 do in order to see if your ram is good. Well it looks like 12 tests, so I am guessing memtest would fail if the ram is not stable, and it looks like like these 12 tests take less then 30min to complete, so I would say no to 12hours of memtest testing, only for prime95.

OP
BIB

BIB

Well it looks like 12 tests, so I am guessing memtest would fail if the ram is not stable, and it looks like like these 12 tests take less then 30min to complete, so I would say no to 12hours of memtest testing, only for prime95.

alright sounds good to me!
Thanks

adelphia83

Let the program do it's thing for 12 hours or so, then you can be certain there aren't going to be any memory related errors.

If you're still testing speeds, and need a quick check, just run test #5 (in the memtest configuration, you can tell it which test to run). This test is most strenuous, and if the RAM isn't 99% stable, it will almost *always* fail around 95-99% of the way through test #5 in the first couple passes.

When I'm testing speeds for potential overclocks, I certainly don't do 12 hour passes on all of them, otherwise I'd be spending months on it. If it passes test #5 two times, I continue raising the speed, until it fails test #5.. Once it fails that test, I lower the speed a couple notches, and run it for a good 12 hours.

This has worked best for me.

OP
BIB

BIB

thanks for the info adelphia83. I will check test 5 out.

ok i ran memtest now for 12+ hours and it did not complete one pass yet. I did test selection and ran "all tests" Test 1 to 10 went by quick for me, maybe 2 hours. test 11 took 10 hours and now i am finishing up test 12. this was all started last night at 10:30pm.
i know that there test system which was slow completed it in a little over 5 hours. http://www.memtest86.com/#timing

why is mine taking so long for one pass?
box 2 in sig

OP
BIB

BIB

it is doing the same thing in prime95. it passes the first three, and then the next three tests. Then on the next first one it takes forever and ever. this has never taken soo long before, but i got the low on virtual memory warning to pop up. so what does that mean?

also i did what adelphia83 said and i ran test memtest number 5 overnight and it did 175 passes with no errors. so i think i am stable with what i am running at right now!