• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

messed up mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomchong

i got a mircrosoft wireless mouse keyboard combo on boxing day for cheap and i was looking forward to playing my games without the hassle of wires and my crippled old mouse, and everything went well, but every once and awile, no matter what im doing the mouse jumps to the egde of the screen and out of site, and then comes back. while playing shooting games this makes my guy momentarily stare at the sky or go i circles often at the worst possible times. Ive moved around the receiver, gone through the users manuel and online support but have found no solutions, anyone got any suggestions?

racecar12

I have a logitec dou cordless and my mouse does the same. My other cordless mouse does the same. I don't play games so it really does not bother me much. It might have something to do with exploreers refresh time.

OP
tomchong

tomchong

you say both mice do the same thing, if you dont mind me asking is your computer in a tight space were speakers, moniter & other perepherials are close to the receiver? also, what kind of surface do you use your mice on? i dont think this mouse is defective so im just trying to narrow down the problem

Dc5e

well, there could be a few things... the wireless technology used by it isn't as good... mouse optical engine isn't that good... or the reciever is in a bad position or there is too much interference around...

which microsoft set is it?

I have the MX Duo and it works great, if you put it near any other electronics, the range declines. I can't even use my mouse across my room probably because it has 2 monitors, 5 speakers, subwoofer, amplifier and stuff like that confined in a small space..... But i tried it in my living room once, and i was able to go to the opposite end of the room which was a good 4-5x longer than my room.

The MX Duo uses newer technology so it does not have as many problems. I've used to have a problem with a older wired optical mouse, if i tried to flick the mouse, it would just move to a corrner of the screen. This was because the optical engine wasn't as good as the MX700

OP
tomchong

tomchong

its the ms wireless optical desktop, no problems with the keyboard, the mouse model is called the wireless optical mouse, reception does not seem to be the problem although on and around a computer desk there is a moniter, printer, sub and five speakers, they do not block the path from the mouse to receiver. is there any particular surface which the optical mouse may work better?

Dc5e

I just use some plain old white mousepad, the mouse obviously won't work very well on a red one, but even if you have a red one it shouldn't jump across the screen.

Chances are, the optical engine on your mouse isn't that great... you're probably better off just using a different mouse.

Aktunka

You probably won't be helped by this, but you never know. I had a fancy mouse pad back when I originally switched to an optical mouse, but after I went optical my mouse started acting really freaky and jumping all around on the screen. Thought I had a bad mouse so I took it back and tried another and the same thing was happening. So I hooked up my old mouse again to make sure the port was good and everything and no problems there, switched back to optical and wackiness ensued. Finally figured out that my fancy mouse pad had a semi shiny surface and sometimes the light would reflect off of it and freak the optical sensors in the mouse out so it would be crazy. Switched to a plain black pad and no problems since. Anyhow, probably not your issue but never know :p

Vulcan

I've used 4 wireless mouse setups so far:
- Microsoft Wireless Desktop fo Bluetooth
- Logitech Cordless Elite Duo
- Logitech Cordless MX Duo
- Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite

I never got the bluetooth workign right on my computer so I cant say how the MS wireless desktop for bluetooth works... I do remember having alot of problem with the duo, and I returned it to the store after a few months for a MX setup. The MX seemed to fix all the problems I had been having, the movement was smooth and precise... But I had one of those fail after a few months of use. I returned it and got a replacement, this other worked fine for as long as I had it. The MS Elite setup had caught my eye so I exchanged my logitech setup for it (yay for extended warenties :D) I really like this setup the best of any other ive used. Ive never had any of the problems you described using the elite or mx mice. I think the earlier optical mice had alot of porblems that were finaly fixed in the newest generation.