• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Metal fans versus plastic ones...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin

Registered
Justin got a 120mm fan from radioshack. it was metal. Justin went back to radioshack and saw the plastic one had higher cfm. Justin noticed that the metal one was 63cfm and the plastic one was 84cfm. Justin thinks this is due to the weight and it spins slower. Justin sees the fans are the same price. Justin slaps himself and wishes he could return the metal one for a plastic one. Justin also advises that you PUT A GRILL ON YOUR METAL FANS!!!!!! AND NEVER EVER FOOL AROUND WITH THEM WHILE THEYRE RUNNING!!! YOU CAN SERIOUSLY LOSE A FINGER!!!!!

Well lots of sensible lessons here :)

Thanx though for informing the forum about the fan performance, it may make a difference to someone buying fans

Justin (Jul 03, 2001 05:49 p.m.):
Justin got a 120mm fan from radioshack. it was metal. Justin went back to radioshack and saw the plastic one had higher cfm. Justin noticed that the metal one was 63cfm and the plastic one was 84cfm. Justin thinks this is due to the weight and it spins slower. Justin sees the fans are the same price. Justin slaps himself and wishes he could return the metal one for a plastic one. Justin also advises that you PUT A GRILL ON YOUR METAL FANS!!!!!! AND NEVER EVER FOOL AROUND WITH THEM WHILE THEYRE RUNNING!!! YOU CAN SERIOUSLY LOSE A FINGER!!!!!

This is off topic... but why are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person?

[Oc]acaridans (Jul 03, 2001 06:37 p.m.):
Did Justin put finger in metal fan?
Did you try returning it?

What? The finger?

J/K =]

And I just thought I'd mention this...My name is Justin and reading this thread was kinda wierd for me considering he was speaking in third person. =]

Hey Justin, is that your real name? If so, are you named after someone in your family? Did your parents just like the name? Or are you named after Justin Hayword of the Moody Blues?

why talk in 3rd person...
well you cant really in 2nd person... and 3rd person is funny......
Seinfield anyone? remember Jimmy? thats how he talked.
i have a friend (james) and renamed himself to Jimmy as thats how he talks all the time and refers to himself as... Jimmy when to......
its all in good humor

But seriously, I think the older, metal fans are a good buy in terms of quality. I've relatives who are still using table fans from the 70's and they still run fine today. In contrast, some of the fans I've seen today lasts only about a couple of years and then, kapoot! One friend of mine had a shock of his life when sparks started flying out of his boxfan right next to him. Maybe the older fan outputs less cfm given the same power requirement because of a less optimized blade or motor design. Thanks to that JIT (Just-In-Time) manufacturing doctrine widely practiced in the industry nowadays, quality is sacrificed for larger production volumes. I really agree with all that old folks' yammering about "They don't make them like they used to..". Make sure you grill that fan, Justin, or you won't be able to keep your fingers to yourself when you accidentally touch the spinning blades. (Heavier) spinning metal blades will have more inertial force to 'chop things'.

I got a 120mm from a local electronic chain in Australia, and this thing BLOWS as in a lot of air its about 55mm think and wieghs in at approx 700grams.

ive got it mounted ont eh side of my case just under the cpu socket so it doent interfere with my heatsink fan speed (27cfm ystech) usually spins about 4300rpm but if i had the 120mm on top it would go more like 5700RPM... and that i DIDNT like (kill the bearings)

Justin is not satisfied with the comments on this page. Justin does like the fan lingo....but why do you people pick on the way justin percives himself?!?!?!?!?!?Justin LIKES third person and its stuck with him for about 3 days now. And its STAYING. Justin likes the metal fans better because belive it or not Justin would rather have dependability over cfm. Justin thinks a 63cfm fan that lasts 20 years is better than a 84cfm fan that lasts a year or something. Justin is tired now..........

Not ot bust in on the fun and be technical, but I would bet that the metal bladed fan produces a higher static pressure. CFM must always be taken with a grain of salt. Any fan can move a lot of air with just a anometer(spelling?) in front of it. But the ability to maintain the rated CFM with some back-pressure is another thing.

Froggy (Jul 05, 2001 09:57 p.m.):
Not ot bust in on the fun and be technical, but I would bet that the metal bladed fan produces a higher static pressure. CFM must always be taken with a grain of salt. Any fan can move a lot of air with just a anometer(spelling?) in front of it. But the ability to maintain the rated CFM with some back-pressure is another thing.

This depends on the blade design of the fan and not because it is made out of metal. Look at the performance curves of axial fans and where does it say that it is a function of material? If higher static pressure is needed, volume flow rate drops dramatically for axial fans. BTW, the engineers who designed the fan don't need to measure the CFM -it's calculated from theoretical formulations related to blade geometry.

Back