• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Methanol & Distilled Water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadzone

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Location
Panama
Hello,

I was using a glycol based coolant and today i changed for Methanol-Distilled Water (33:66) and the temp has rise to 55 when i turd on the computer from 45 when i used the glycol. Alse the tubing and the water block & Rad are much more hot than before when i touch them.

Should i switch back? Can i try something else?

Thanks
 

ol' man

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2001
Did you prime the line really good as to make sure there are no bubbles in the pump and water block or basically anywhere in the whole apparatus.
 
OP
deadzone

deadzone

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Location
Panama
I cant see any bubbles in the line. My pump has a built in resavior and i have left 1/4 without filling. COuld this be the problem?
 
OP
deadzone

deadzone

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Location
Panama
This is my system with glycol, before i changed to Methanol - Distilled Water. Hope sameone has an idea on whats wrong.
 

Tecumseh

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2002
Location
Ohio
Assuming you don't have bubbles in the system, then this
can be explained in terms of thermal conductivity.

Check this page and you will see that
water has three times the thermal conductivity of methanol.

Methanol is also toxic so you don't want to use an open
reservoire.
 
Last edited:
OP
deadzone

deadzone

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Location
Panama
The link is broken, what do you mean? That i shouldnt use methanol? Whats the best coolant to use.

Thanks
 

Tecumseh

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2002
Location
Ohio
The link above is fixed now. Sorry about that. See the
table at the bottom of that page.

No, I would not use methanol in a PC cooling rig. The best
fluid you can us is distilled water with some watter wetter
or similar additive. If your rig is all one metal (all copper or
all aluminum) you wont need to worry too much about
corrosion, but you might add some Clorox bleach to kill
the nasty life forms that get into every thing.:)

Note: Methanol is toxic. If your pets got into it they would
be history. IF you breath fumes of this long enough you
can do permanent damage to yourself.