• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

micro SDCARD Raid on a pentium 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

So there is this computer i built a few years ago that i like to call "The Dualatin". It was a blue computer that had the following specs and was used from 2011 to 2013 for old programs i still used.

Super Micro P3TDDE
x2 Pentium 3 1.40ghz tualatin core processors
4gb of ram
x2 120gb hard drives in raid 0 on the boards built in promise raid controller
Geforce fx5500 later upgraded to Geforce 7800.
Some creative sound card lol

A little while ago, i had put the computer away and then brought it out again only to find that one of the drives had a catastrophic drive failure. so there goes a bunch of whatever i didnt get to back up last time i had it on.

BUT, i still want to get this bad boy going again since im enjoying the marathon and because i like to "ride around the car show in my historical vehicle". And to do that, i want to get two micro sd cards 128gb in size and put them in raid 0 on the promise raid controller.

-So my question is-

is this a good idea? or am i better off just finding another pair of 120gb hard drives. and i say 120gb because thats teh highest the raid controller will support per drive. i also tried another raid card and no go. board does not support booting from another IDE card unless someone here has answers on how to do it.

OP
(G{in}[AK)TION]

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Yeah like a bootable Raid array. I would use these IDE to micro SD card adapters to do it.

OP
(G{in}[AK)TION]

(G{in}[AK)TION]

well to be more specific, i was asking about whether its a good idea or not to use sd cards as an OS drive for long term.

And by setting them up in raid, i mean IDE Raid. that adapter is sata. i will be get two adapters for the two cards and putting them in the built in raid on the board itself.

HankB

One of the problems that Raspberry Pi users experience is microSD card failures. It seems unlikely that all of them support wear leveling and if you get cheap ones, wear leveling is less likely and overall quality suspect. If you happen to have a boatload of cards otherwise unused or want to do it just to demonstrate it can be done, go for it!

I did see something like that come up somewhere (news feed on my phone perhaps) and the conclusion was that it did not offer any real benefit over just getting an SSD.

OP
(G{in}[AK)TION]

(G{in}[AK)TION]

well the reason why i was thinking of getting micro sd cards was that alot of hard drives that i have that are smaller in size are different brands and some of them are showing signs of failure. and from what i have seen with this board, if there is a failing drive, it will freeze up over and over.

So i either need to work on getting god IDE PATA drives or go microsd card that is, if it is a good idea for long term.

I mean if there are any good micro sd cards i could get my hands on, please, show me some good ones. otherwise, i will go check out some stores that are an hour away to see if they got any smaller drives.

Mpegger

If there are going to be constant writes to the SD card, it will eventually fail, no if, ands or buts. There are "high endurance" SD cards which can take more writes then your average SD card, but it won't be a solution if you are installing a OS that is not designed to minimize or eliminate writes to the host drive, as some Linux distros are. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ix=high+en,electronics,140&crid=2DIZASHJ7EW58

You could also try using a CF card with a IDE adapter, though constant writes will still be a problem. eBay is another solution and for drives that small and old, you can probably score a dozen for chump change.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
I know Transcend used to make PATA SSDs. I installed about 2 dozen of these in old vision systems for a robot cell. They ran 24/7 for about 4 years without issue before we took the cell down. I don't know if something like that would work for you maybe?

HankB

I think a better solution is go get a SATA add in card so you can use SATA drives. Those cards are not very expensive and then you can use any available SATA drive. You might need to verify that the one you buy is bootable since you will want to boot from it sooner or later. And it needs to be bootable in your motherboard.

trents

Yes, they did indeed make PATA SSD cards. I have seen them on the market in the past year. Might have been used ones on ebay, however. I can't remember. My input would be that I doubt you would see much performance improvement over spinners because the CPUs in that generation were much more of a system bottleneck than they are now. My experience is that putting an SSD in computers from the LGA 775 era (Core 2 duo, Core 2) has much less impact on performance than it does on newer systems, especially when you have to run them in IDE emulation mode.

OP
(G{in}[AK)TION]

(G{in}[AK)TION]

@HankB
I wish i could, but this board, in all its awesomeness, does not support booting from an addin card. already tested the same raid card i was trying to use and it booted from that card just fine. this board however, does not want to use the the add in card. only its own RAID IDE chip.

@Richo999
your link takes me to a 320gb drive. i actually need a 120gb drive because thats the highest the raid controller will support per drive.

@trents
true, but i still want the cpus to be performing at their prime and not always waiting on the drive or any other hardware.

will check out the PATA cards though. i will not be having it read and write consistently just for when there is a benching event going on that involves an old benchmark program like 3dmark 05.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
SD cards have limited writes and in general low random write performance. It's getting much better in read as top cards have nearly as good read as standard SATA SSD series ... but writes are still far. Some brands release enterprise series SD/microSD that should last longer. I have one of these from Lexar but this brand doesn't exist anymore.
I forgot there are adapters from PATA and PATA SSD. I don't know if using SD card is good idea but SSD shouldn't cost much and should last for longer.

Richo999

@HankB
I wish i could, but this board, in all its awesomeness, does not support booting from an addin card. already tested the same raid card i was trying to use and it booted from that card just fine. this board however, does not want to use the the add in card. only its own RAID IDE chip.

@Richo999
your link takes me to a 320gb drive. i actually need a 120gb drive because thats the highest the raid controller will support per drive.

@Trents
true, but i still want the cpus to be performing at their prime and not always waiting on the drive or any other hardware.

will check out the PATA cards though. i will not be having it read and write consistently just for when there is a benching event going on that involves an old benchmark program like 3dmark 05.

that was a quick link to show they still sell PATA drives..... if you did a search on newegg you would come up with this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE5VV8016
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE40F1633