• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micro surgery on broken GeForce2MX traces

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoopa_man

For all Ye' who feels It's worth the time and effort to put a blorb on a video card read this several times. It might actually talk you out of doing it.

If you haven't followed my epic story of orbs, GeForce cards and trace pens here's the shortened version.

I decided I was going to put a blorb on my GeForce 2 MX card. Though the added cooling would be worth the effort. So I put up a post about how to go about doing this. Got a bunch of responses and went at it. Well...I did the mod. Added a blorb to my GeForce card. So I went to plug it in......turned it on...and got noting but a garbled screen !! What the heck ? Upon close inspection I could see where three of the traces on the board were broken. So...here's where it gets good.

I decided that I might be able to fix this. I jumped online and found a super micro tiny tiny itsy bitsy ultra fine tipped trace pen.
Since the traces on the board were so small that I could hardly see them I had to find a way to get a closer view. I remembered the Biology lab at the college had some fancy light microscopes. So...TO THE COLLEGE....Someone there was nice enough to let me sit down with my card and pen and a fancy microscope for my project.
I used the trace pen to very carefully reconnect the traces making sure that none of the silver seeped over to the other traces. It took me forever to do this because everything was so small. I ended up having to use the tip of a needle to help guide the silver onto the board. When I though I had got it I took off for home to test it out.

What do you know...when I booted my system up.....It works!!!! No garbled image!!!!
I had successfully brought my GeForce 2 back to life. You can call me the GeForce doctor...I did it. Whooo Must be the Ge-Force was with me that day ??? I'm not too sure how long the traces will last but it's working now. Back to QUAKE 3 ARENA

That was the best news of the Month (August being only 48 hours old 8))!!!

Now have a conscience and don't sell it. It may only work for a while, until it bends/twists and the hobjob comes loose. I should say, I wouldn't resell it :). Maybe.

Yah, I'll hold on to it. It's like a relic to me or something. The only thing i'v ever brought back to life. Hehehehe.

I don't have to heart to sell it to some sucker on ebay. I'm not that kind of person. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Hopefully it will hold up until Geting a GeForce3 is worth the money. Then I can swap it out. Back to QUAKE 3 killing.

I'm sure that GTS is pretty sweet in comparison, anything to force an upgrade and for the sheer learning value is worth any price...

Now for a second machine to tweak the hell out of that MX... 8)

I did the same thing on my other VP-6. I was using a screwdriver to take off the FOP-32 and it slipped. I couldnt find one of those ultra fine pens though. I used one of the big honking pens and a sewing needle. It was painstaking. I honestly felt it would have been more productive to just plop the $150 bones for a new board. I don't think I will ever do it again.

Pinky, I actually have a second system :)

It's an AMD K6-2 500
Right now it's got my old voodoo card in it. I'll throw in the GeForce tonight. Yay. Then there can be two of us playing with a half way decent video card.

Your right. The GTS has a noticeable difference over the MX. But keep in mind my GTS has 64mb of DDR the MX has 64mb SDR. So were not comparing Apples with Apples. I love the DDR and wouldn't advise anyone to go SDR unless that's all they could afford.

I run both AMD and Pentium systems...that's why you don't see me taking sides most of the time. If I were to build a system right now It would all depend on what I wanted to do with it. My main machine is for working and has to be trustworthy...Pentium. My second machine is for tweaking and over clocking..messing around with..AMD.
There's my two cents.

You want to fix up the corner of my duron 600 [img="[URL]http://forums.overclockers.ws/forums/Public/Images/Default/E28.gif[/URL]"] That is so cool man I thought I was reading another sorrowful death story.

You want a death story....Talk to the guys that USE to work at DynastyExpress.com I bought a PIII 800eb and cracked the core putting on the golden orb they sent me along with the chip. Had to buy the orb or no warranty. Well, I didn't know any better then so don't flame me. Anyway...they wouldn't RMA me a new one...maybe I can fix that too !!!! Yah right. Well just for your information Dynasty Express is out of business..there crappy service and rude attitude put them under. I'll never buy anything expensive over the net again. I want to be able to walk into a store and strangle someone.

one of the traces split on my old yamaha sound card, lasted about 1/2 a year then I sodered a wire on the traces to connect them cause the conductive ink wasent working anymore

zoopa_man (Aug 02, 2001 01:52 p.m.):
I'll never buy anything expensive over the net again. I want to be able to walk into a store and strangle someone.

It wasn't their fault you cracked...

I love Puns.

I buy most everything online and have very very few problems. I sell stuff all the time, and have had 0 issues there too, and that's with the eBay crowd!

By expensive Here's what I mean....If i'm only saving 20 bucks by buying it on the net..I'm going to the store...If i'm saving a lot by buying it on the net then Yah..i'll spend 300 and save 75. Sorry for the missunderstanding. I'll spend a lot online. But now I check out my sources a lot more carefully than what I use to.

9/10 I can tell by the quality of the website what type of operation they run.

PCBoost, for example, rank as one of the poorest. Best Buy has a good site, but they suck... so I guess that rule doesn't always work :).

DUDE best buy is awsome. The one up in rochester has like everything. A bizillion cd's and tons of computer stuff. I love best buy

I know what you mean though. A shaky site or goofy payment procedure always turns me away.

zoopa_man (Aug 02, 2001 09:57 p.m.):
DUDE best buy is awsome. The one up in rochester has like everything. A bizillion cd's and tons of computer stuff. I love best buy

I know what you mean though. A shaky site or goofy payment procedure always turns me away.

Congrats on 500 posts.

I'm guilty of buying certain items (blank cds, printer/printer paper) there... but most of the time their markup is way up.

Back