• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MicroCool chipsinks : worth the money?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

I was looking into getting some Microcool chipsinks for all those little chip things on my motherboard. I read a review, saying that they'll decrease the temp of each chip ON AVERAGE from .5-1c. IMO, that's not really worth the $2 for each PLL/Mosfet chipsink. What do you guys think?

HOWEVER, the southbridge is like $8 and the temp on that will go down 5-7c. I'd say that's a good margin right?

Overall, it'd cost me about $30 to put a chipsink on ALL of them on my motherboard, and each one's temp will go down about 1c. Is that worth it to you guys?

Thanks.

topslop1

That's not worth it at all for me. I'd save the money and splurge like $60 or $70 on a watercooling kit. In my opinion I think some people are hardware cooling crazy in some respects. Like the guys with watercooling kits that run stock speeds and voltages and the guys with a processor that loads at 40 celcius and think its running too hot.

On another note..
I've run my mobile 2600+ at 65 degrees celcius load for quite some time now and I get people trying to lecture me about my temps being too high. It's been doing 3+ months and I wouldn't be suprised if it ran for a few years.

All in all, the extra few degrees won't do too much if anything for your motherboard - unless its northbridge - that may give you some higher fsb.

w00p

The only heatsinks worth buying for stuff like that are ramsinks.
Put some decent ramsinks on your system and AGP memory and you'd oughta get quite some more MHz out of them...

clocker2

topslop1 said:
In my opinion I think some people are hardware cooling crazy in some respects. Like the guys with watercooling kits that run stock speeds and voltages
Why would that qualify as "crazy"?
Using a water system to cool can also eliminate many system fans and result in a very quiet running PC.
You don't have to be going after the highest possible clock to want a H2O rig...a stable, quiet PC is just as valid a goal.