• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microscope, USB/HDMI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I just got a cheap ($20 - USB - 40x - 1000x) microscope to use at work to check parts and tooling without having to take off my safety glasses and look into stereo eyepieces that are covered in oil and set to someone else's preferences.

I'd like to get a nice one that can be used to torch solder, bend small wires, and possibly engrave.

Doe anybody have any suggestions for a good model that isn't more than $200? I figure I'll probably want to get a monitor and use an HDMI cable, but I'm open to USB as well, but can't really have lag in the picture. My guess is 3x to 100x is all I need, though more capacity wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

If you're not going to spend more then $200 and need one for the occasional look-see, just get one out of the dozens of cheap Amazon USB $20 models and be done with it. They are all the same 3-4 models under different names, none being better then the other, and also a roll of the dice on whether it'll work good enough (perfect is out of the question). No matter what, don't ever expect the quality of any $200+ models (or what the sellers show in the pictures).

If you're not going to spend more then $200 and need one for the occasional look-see, just get one out of the dozens of cheap Amazon USB $20 models and be done with it.

Umm...

I just got a cheap ($20 - USB - 40x - 1000x) microscope

Mpegger said:
They are all the same 3-4 models under different names, none being better then the other, and also a roll of the dice on whether it'll work good enough (perfect is out of the question). No matter what, don't ever expect the quality of any $200+ models (or what the sellers show in the pictures).

I'm actually looking for something I'm going to be using regularly. Thank you for the video. That pointed me to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J4PJGD/ Which appears to be the model the video maker uses normally, though I was able to order it for $130. I'll probably eventually replace the stand with something larger. I have used magnifiers, microscopes, stereo systems, ect... in my 20 years in a large machine shop that I was aware that a lot of the pictures were just marketing fluff, and not realistically going to be something I'd be able to get from the models I'm looking for.

The type of soldering I was talking about is this style:

I use microscopes. There are tons of digital USB scopes out there that are relatively cheap. Celestron makes some decent ones I have used.

Back