• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From the article: "The timing of the statement coincides with the release this week of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2," a highly anticipated Xbox 360 game. The game's release means big sales — but also sales of pirated copies, which are illegal."

People BUY pirated software? Wouldn't buying pirated software kind of defeat the purpose of pirating it?

People who mod their consoles should know there is a risk. Hopefully we will get to the point where developers realize that piracy is not a PC exclusive problem.

lol microsoft are not suposed to check into ur hardrive its a break of ur code because they check into ur personal data and they are not suposed to :)

Actualy that how they does to know if ur XBox is chpped or not. they **analyse/scan** ur xbox and check if its chiped or not.

From the article: "The timing of the statement coincides with the release this week of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2," a highly anticipated Xbox 360 game. The game's release means big sales — but also sales of pirated copies, which are illegal."

People BUY pirated software? Wouldn't buying pirated software kind of defeat the purpose of pirating it?

People who mod their consoles should know there is a risk. Hopefully we will get to the point where developers realize that piracy is not a PC exclusive problem.

yeah the sell pirated games and movies. When I lived in Canada, the Chinatown mall in Toronto was notoriously a place to get anything fake or pirated you want. Was hillarious to see them selling a cammed version of a movie that had just come out 3 days ago. The box art was printed off of IMDB and screen stills were on the back.

If you go to some pawn shops in the hood in Cincinnati it is the same difference there too. Anything from cammed or ripped DVDs to fake NFL Jerseys and Nike shoes.

Last edited:
People dumb enough to run a modded system are also dumb enough to pay $10 for someone to burn a copy of a game to DVD.

No sympathy at all for the tons of idiots putting up 'BANNED 360 - $400!' ads on CL today. Yes, someone is actually asking that much, or offering to trade for a non-banned one. Ugh.

it is a chipped Xbox 360 to be able to read **Illegal** Game.
Actualy u can just download game POST EDITED, not allowed on these forums.

Grosjambon, you are a new member here, so I will remind you to read our forums rules. Especially the part about warez/cracks and illegal activity.

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
modded system = bypasses region check and such. With stock XBox, it can reject any games that are on pirated disc but modded Xbox ignores that and plays as if it's legit.

Microsoft did this before with older XBox console.

What is a modded system exactly anyway?

Yeah modded 360s don't let you do all the cool stuff that the original xbox let you do (XMBC, emulators, etc). It's only to play "backups"

I wonder how high the number will get (I read somewhere it was 600,000 the other day) before they stop and also how many of those people bought the console and then never bought a single game.

what's sad is all those people that will sale their banned xbox to someone who doesn't know it is banned...or a store that will buy a banned one and resale it...

lol microsoft are not suposed to check into ur hardrive its a break of ur code because they check into ur personal data and they are not suposed to :)

Actualy that how they does to know if ur XBox is chpped or not. they **analyse/scan** ur xbox and check if its chiped or not.

Actually if you ever get bored try reading the terms of use for the XBL... while it's not illegal to alter your 360, you can't use said 360 on XBL ;)

Edit: Live Terms of Use

what's sad is all those people that will sale their banned xbox to someone who doesn't know it is banned...or a store that will buy a banned one and resale it...

Actually if you ever get bored try reading the terms of use for the XBL... while it's not illegal to alter your 360, you can't use said 360 on XBL ;)

Edit: Live Terms of Use

This ban is a double edged sword.

If this does happen, many of them may not go out an buy another XboX. I don't have an extra $300 hanging around to do this.. Plus all of the Live subscriptions lost.... $50 time 1,000,000. Thats alot of money to lose too..

yeah the sell pirated games and movies. When I lived in Canada, the Chinatown mall in Toronto was notoriously a place to get anything fake or pirated you want. Was hillarious to see them selling a cammed version of a movie that had just come out 3 days ago. The box art was printed off of IMDB and screen stills were on the back.

If you go to some pawn shops in the hood in Cincinnati it is the same difference there too. Anything from cammed or ripped DVDs to fake NFL Jerseys and Nike shoes.

LOL, I brought my 360 to Pacific mall, however didn't mod it. I just bought my 360 at that time and after the final consideration, I didn't wanna lose the warranty. :santa:

Now since I got a good PC, I haven't even played one 360 game yet. So my xbox is left not moded.

This ban is a double edged sword.

If this does happen, many of them may not go out an buy another XboX. I don't have an extra $300 hanging around to do this.. Plus all of the Live subscriptions lost.... $50 time 1,000,000. Thats alot of money to lose too..

Well most of the people modding the xbox's aren't the ones buying them. I'd say a good mojority of the users running modded 360's are between 12 and 16. Sure Microsoft may lose a good deal of money this way, but at the same time those same users running pirated games that actually want to continue to play the game will both buy another 360 and the actual game, so they make money. also the live subscriptions are not refunded. This will stop a good 90% of the "script kiddies" and people just following the howto guides, though their will still be people running pirated games even if they have the actual game layin on the floor next to them, just be cause they can...

This affects a vast majority of people who downloaded the leaked version of Borderlands AND MW2 and played them online for the MS servers to see. Very idiot move.

Plus, it makes me think that these leaks were done on purpose lately.

Plus, it makes me think that these leaks were done on purpose lately.

That would be a great way to catch the pirates. Release a 'special' version of the games to the torrent kiddies that's programmed slightly differently and reveals itself when connecting to Live. 0% chance of friendly fire since only burned copies running on modded systems would act that way.

Another poorly thought out marketing move by a company with a reputation for hating it's customers.

Don't get me wrong, pirating video games hurts develpers and hinders innovation. I've never played one pirated game, ever.

But giving 1,000,000 customers the finger is bad business. Better they spent a million dollars tracking down and prosecuting stores that sell illegal copies of games. You go for the dealers, not the users.

It's the most rabid fans of Xbox doing this... And what will happen is they'll sell the modded box at a steep discount, and spread these boxes, and interest in 'free' or cheap games, far and wide.

I can already hear the misinformation being spread. "Don't use Xbox live... they can scan your harddrive and watch you when you sleep!"

They've taken a niche group of hardcore fans, and turned them into dealers of Pirate-Ready consoles. Sigh. Get ready for 1,000,000 cheap modded Xboxes to hit the market... and the customer base for pirated games to expand dramatically.

Last edited:
I would say it doubtful that this is bad for their buisness. I would guess that most of those people will just run out and buy another console.

I would say it doubtful that this is bad for their buisness. I would guess that most of those people will just run out and buy another console.

I agree. But they don't make their money on hardware, they make it on games. These guys aren't going to throw their modded boxes away, they likely to sell them... with the sales pitch "Tired of buying games?"

In other words, it used to be hardcore modders with these boxes, now it will be anyone with an Ebay account. (You could buy them before, I know, but now they've pushed awareness into the mainstream, and caused them to be sold at discount.)

And THAT gamer, the one who knows squat about modding, is now a consumer of black market games. He doesn't care he can't get on Xbox Live... He just knows he bought an Xbox for $80 bucks, and he never has to buy another game.

They haven't destroyed 1,000,000 modded Xboxes, they've created a market for them... complete with a national advertising campaign.

Back