• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft nixes local account creation in Win 10 Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That sucks. I have to pay to use their product and then they want to tie that to an account that can do what?..... Track me? Help me in ways I'm not interested? What?

Probably just moving closer to their subscription model like Office 365. You'll just pay a yearly fee to get your updates etc.

Probably just moving closer to their subscription model like Office 365. You'll just pay a yearly fee to get your updates etc.

You're probably right. And I'm moving closer to becoming a Linux user if that is the case.

Microsoft's really screwing the pooch here I feel...I highly doubt your average Karen buying her laptop from Walmart is going to be even remotely interested in paying that yearly fee. Sure, they might still let her use Windows, just without any updates, but when a majority of the consumer market is suddenly getting hacked left and right due to running out of date Windows, who's the one company that's going to be there to brag about their "unhackable OS immune to viruses"? And Apple's already in everyone's pocket...

If they transition to a sub model, I can still see there being a free tier with enough functionality to be used, but limited enough to give incentive for upgrades. Updates will still be available for all. Differentiation will be in other areas. Currently don't MS turn a blind eye to un-activated Windows 10? Apart from restricting some cosmetic parts of the UI I think it pretty much runs anything, including updates.

i'm sure someone will come up with a mod to allow local accounts if this becomes the norm, luckily we havent got this update at work not looking forward to it if it happens i will finally have to setup a domain controller lol

Keep in mind, this limitation currently applies only to the Home version of Windows 10, as stated in the thread title. Business environments are likely using Pro or Enterprise.

Keep in mind, this limitation currently applies only to the Home version of Windows 10, as stated in the thread title. Business environments are likely using Pro or Enterprise.

But the other versions only let you use a domain or the MS account. If I get Pro and don't have a domain, I'm in the same boat right? That's how I read it anyway.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Microsoft's really screwing the pooch here I feel...I highly doubt your average Karen buying her laptop from Walmart is going to be even remotely interested in paying that yearly fee. Sure, they might still let her use Windows, just without any updates, but when a majority of the consumer market is suddenly getting hacked left and right due to running out of date Windows, who's the one company that's going to be there to brag about their "unhackable OS immune to viruses"? And Apple's already in everyone's pocket...

Keep in mind that it wasn't too many years ago that Linux got a foothold in the market because MS was too unsecure. I would hope that they have enough institutional memory to know that if they allow unsecure OSs in the wild that Linux and Apple will take market share again.

But the other versions only let you use a domain or the MS account. If I get Pro and don't have a domain, I'm in the same boat right? That's how I read it anyway.

Not so. I install Windows 10 pro on non domain customer computers all the time using a local account.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Keep in mind that it wasn't too many years ago that Linux got a foothold in the market because MS was too unsecure. I would hope that they have enough institutional memory to know that if they allow unsecure OSs in the wild that Linux and Apple will take market share again.

This is Microsoft. Vista taught us that people weren't willing to double their RAM for fancy glass like window borders and taskbar, meaning people really don't care about appearance, and when a UI has been in use a long time, people aren't too stoked about a change in UI drastically affecting their computing experience. Yet, Windows 8 and the Metro UI still happened. They don't learn lessons, they just make sure their mistakes aren't too costly.

I thought people already knew this. That's why when I set up Win 10 on my computer, I made sure I wasn't connected to the internet.

Back