• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Microsoft to buy Activision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm hopeful that this will help some of the issues Activision/Blizzard were having from the top down also

Genuinely confused, didn't M$ already own Activision ? They launched Mechwarrior 4 and the DLC's under it, or am I confusing it with FASA/Activision ? How many Activision are there ?

Genuinely confused, didn't M$ already own Activision ? They launched Mechwarrior 4 and the DLC's under it, or am I confusing it with FASA/Activision ? How many Activision are there ?
Activision has been a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard for ~10yrs. Unless I'm mistaken, Mechwarrior 4 was dev'd by FASA and published by Microsoft, not Activision.

Activision has been a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard for ~10yrs. Unless I'm mistaken, Mechwarrior 4 was dev'd by FASA and published by Microsoft, not Activision.
Yep I was actually just looking up their back catalog [Activisions] who did publish the older Mechwarriors, as well as a gigantic list of software for the atari/nes/snes/n64/playstation/etc. I hope that some amount of that back-catalog can come out again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yep I was actually just looking up their back catalog [Activisions] who did publish the older Mechwarriors, as well as a gigantic list of software for the atari/nes/snes/n64/playstation/etc. I hope that some amount of that back-catalog can come out again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe Microsoft bought them with the intention of porting those old games to Xbox/Windows? Please? Anyone? Bueller?

You might have been thinking of Bethesda. Didn't they buy them a few years back?

You might have been thinking of Bethesda. Didn't they buy them a few years back?
M$ bought Zenimax (who owns Bethesda), and Activision bought Blizzard, and then changed their name to Activision-Blizzard... Who's now getting bought by M$ and who will likely finish killing World of Warcraft...

M$ bought Zenimax (who owns Bethesda), and Activision bought Blizzard, and then changed their name to Activision-Blizzard... Who's now getting bought by M$ and who will likely finish killing World of Warcraft...
I highly doubt they would kill wow until it stops making money.

Its been fun reading all the speculation in the media about this merger today. Some even speculate that WOW will become part of the Xbox live subscription. While I highly doubt this I actually would like to see it. I like WOW in spurts but get bored fast so I can't justify paying for it. If it was part of Live I would probably play more.

Its been fun reading all the speculation in the media about this merger today. Some even speculate that WOW will become part of the Xbox live subscription. While I highly doubt this I actually would like to see it. I like WOW in spurts but get bored fast so I can't justify paying for it. If it was part of Live I would probably play more.
That would actually surprise me, and in large part for that reason. The diehard WoW players are gonna pay/already paying for a WoW-only subscription. Separately, those that want a XBL subscription likely already have one. If "the media" is going to speculate, I can speculate as well - there really isn't much money in it for MS while increasing WoW server load, so there's little motivation to bundle the two.

I think it could bring a massive breath of fresh air for those that have quit WoW (I did many years ago, after their 2nd expansion [wotlk]) but if I could sign in and level while just paying for my Xbox Gamepass for PC I'd consider it.

Problem with WoW is how it's being run by Activision = profits 1st, fun as an afterthought, and all the scandals coming to light from the 1st team which were all fired or left on its own, it wouldn't improve anything by changing to another type of subscription. They need to hire people that actually know how to write a fantasy story and then implement it into an MMORPG while at the same time getting rid of some of the stuff that gives them the most profits, the real money token and level boosts (which actually hurt the game). Don't see it happening just because it switches to M$, why I said it's just gonna be milked for the little it's still worth and killed a while later. Players numbers haven't stopped dropping since the latest Shadowlands expansion started ☹️

100% agreed with that. Getting rid of all the real money stuff would improve WOW dramatically. I don't mind cosmetic stuff but when you give level skips and things like that it ruins games with an actual economy like WOW. Any MMORPG that has gone that way has failed at some point after. It had a chance when they rebooted with WOW Classic but then they did the same thing again.

On another note, I was reading a thread on the Diablo 2 Resurrected forums about the merger and it was overall positive. That forum is one of the most negative and toxic forums I've ever read and to see a positive thread about this shows just how bad Activision/Blizzard really is. It really gave me hope that this might help Activision/Blizzard in a big way.

Last edited:
Problem with WoW is how it's being run by Activision = profits 1st, fun as an afterthought, and all the scandals coming to light from the 1st team which were all fired or left on its own, it wouldn't improve anything by changing to another type of subscription. They need to hire people that actually know how to write a fantasy story and then implement it into an MMORPG while at the same time getting rid of some of the stuff that gives them the most profits, the real money token and level boosts (which actually hurt the game). Don't see it happening just because it switches to M$, why I said it's just gonna be milked for the little it's still worth and killed a while later. Players numbers haven't stopped dropping since the latest Shadowlands expansion started ☹️
Completely agreed with you there, just like a lot of games these days, a large re-work is needed to make it more appealing and to stop bleeding of users (ahem, battlefield 2042...). I played thousands of hours of WoW back in the previous expansions as I laid out, and while I don't have time or desire to get back into raiding like I did then (college and just after were such a different time in my life) that casually playing it sounds interesting... kind of. The only 'level skip' things that I thought were a good idea was a free level 70 (or whatever it was) when one of the expansions launched to help get an alt to that point assuming you already had more than 1 at that stage anyway. In either case, we're looking at somewhere from 6mo from now to 1.5years from now (based on 2023 fiscal) for the deal to be finalized (assuming no anti-trust stuff happens) and to see what happens with Act/Bliz in the mean time.

Back