• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft's Edge Browser Confirmed Dead; Long Live Microsoft Edge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.techpowerup.com/250377/microsofts-edge-browser-confirmed-dead-long-live-microsoft-edge

"Microsoft has confirmed they will be killing of their own-developed Edge browser in favor of a Chromium-based alternative. However... The new browser will retain Microsoft's Edge nomenclature, instead of parting ways with the (likely damaged) branding. Microsoft is committing to the open-based Chromium backbone, and will be building upon its database to contribute towards a more open Internet."

https://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-is-building-a-chromium-based-browser-kills-edge/

"The codename for the new project is Anaheim (Anaheim is a city in California). According to the source, Insiders may be able to try the new browser in 19H1 builds of Windows 10. This should happen pretty soon, as 19H1 is the next major update of the OS that represents the upcoming version 1903."

I'm leaning that direction. Microsoft and Google building a browser. That's like Darth Vader and Skeletor installing home security systems. While rife opportunities for privacy and data mining humor, I see the potential for a Nero-esque fiddle/fire ratio with our last vestiges of privacy. What could possibly go wrong?

Well just because it is chromium-based doesn't mean that Google is helping them. As far as I know Chromium is fairly open-source (there's other browsers based on it as well). As far as I know it's just a solid building block for a browser with plenty of existing extensions/addons/etc already so that developers don't have to re-invent the wheel for a mediocre browser.

I don't know why people complain about the old Internet Explorer so much (and why M$ killed it for EDGE), was solid when i used it. Not the best by a mile but solid.

I don't know why people complain about the old Internet Explorer so much (and why M$ killed it for EDGE), was solid when i used it. Not the best by a mile but solid.

I have to switch between legacy IE and Chrome on my work laptop, and find IE with 1-2 tabs seems slower than Chrome with 10-15. Just my personal experience though :shrug:

lack of plugin support, slower, more insecure, websites aren't built for it anymore, lacks support for newer browser standards and types of windows/frames/forms/etc. Does it support html5? I literally only use it because our ticketing system is based on silverlight and other browsers have discontinued that.

Yeah but it's our fallback browser. When all else fails we use IE because we know it works - slower yes granted - but it works. Like I said, solid. Or was back when it was still being updated :(

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. Some of the subtleties of humor get lost on the interwebz. I'm old and I live alone, so sometimes I entertain myself with posts, because I am NOT getting a cat. Tried the wife thing, twice. Had to send them both back.

Back OT, IE hasn't given me any issues in years. It's not enough slower to be a big deal and it's vital for some things, like emulating Safari when I want to download a Windows 10 .iso without the stupid installer. :D And the aesthetics on Edge (Windows 10, period) are just awful.

Exactly, our rigs are fast enough by themselves that we start to search for dependability as well in programs, the "tried-and-true". IE fits the bill for me, every time i have issues with any browser i'm currently using (which its somewhat often usually because of add-ons/plugins), IE has my back.

My IE also has a Favorites list I've been collecting and saving since 2005 (4.88 MB). And I actually use it for a lot of those links. Log in info for sites I don't visit often is stored there, and one forum in particular I've belonged to for a dozen years just doesn't look "right" to me in any other browser now. LOL

Chromium based LMFAO. MS is a day late and a dollar short like I've been saying for years now. Edge fell off it's own cliff. How's that win10 phone hangin? Surely it saw edge jump and got the message.

Chromium based LMFAO. MS is a day late and a dollar short like I've been saying for years now. Edge fell off it's own cliff. How's that win10 phone hangin? Surely it saw edge jump and got the message.

Amen! They are too fat and complacent, thinking that their shear size and legacy user base will insulate them from change. Remember how MS said Windows 10 would be the last Windows? I think it's because there is a steady decline in computing based on general purpose operating systems. The future seems to lie in OS's specifically targeted to devices that don't do everything but do what most people (read, "consumers") want to do most of the time and that do it simply and efficiently and are compact and mobile- like Chromebooks.

"The codename for the new project is Anaheim (Anaheim is a city in California). According to the source, Insiders may be able to try the new browser in 19H1 builds of Windows 10. This should happen pretty soon, as 19H1 is the next major update of the OS that represents the upcoming version 1903."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

LOL
In NY Urban Dictionary, Anaheim = take it in the ***.
Perfect. :rofl:

Seems stupid to retain the name "Edge" with the new Chromium-based product when the original Edge failed to compete. The average consumer will not know that the engine has changed.

Maybe that's the point ? will likely backlash at them, but M$ has never been particularly smart when it comes to sales techniques...

They should have put all that effort in to IE over the years. Unfortunately it's now only slightly ahead of Satya Nadella on the list of things Bill Gates should have killed. I'm keeping IE, though. It's too useful as a backup and the security issues never bothered me because I don't take IE to *those sites*. Hell, at 56 I don't take me to *those sites*. I'm afraid I'd just find it depressing. LOL The only reason I stopped using IE as my daily driver was the telemetry. Removing the troublesome updates broke some functionality so it was off to the back burner for that browser.

lack of plugin support, slower, more insecure, websites aren't built for it anymore, lacks support for newer browser standards and types of windows/frames/forms/etc. Does it support html5? I literally only use it because our ticketing system is based on silverlight and other browsers have discontinued that.

I use IE at work and I like it just fine. At home I use Chrome. I don't use any extensions and haven't seen any particular issues with compatibility on websites with either browser.

Your ticketing system uses Silverlight?! Really? Just after we got our fiscal system installed with Silverlight, M$ announced that it was killing Silverlight. Fortunately our Finance package moved off Silverlight but then M$ decieded to keep Silverlight. Silverlight = Java/Flash wanna be.

I use IE at work and I like it just fine. At home I use Chrome. I don't use any extensions and haven't seen any particular issues with compatibility on websites with either browser.

Your ticketing system uses Silverlight?! Really? Just after we got our fiscal system installed with Silverlight, M$ announced that it was killing Silverlight. Fortunately our Finance package moved off Silverlight but then M$ decieded to keep Silverlight. Silverlight = Java/Flash wanna be.

Pretty much. ServicePro is the one we currently have (would much rather be using ServiceNow [it's what I used at a previous place], but SN costs about 3x as much/year)

Back