• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Might hit 500 pts by B-day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heck it looks like you guys are givin all i need for boost!! :clap:

The reason i call it cheesy is because of lack of flexibility and the high failure rate (initial quality) of the boards... i also dont like the idea of having sdram and ddr slots on same board.. anytime a mnfr does stuff like that, it usually create problems... Believe me though,, i am a big fan of cheap, stable boards.. My favorite cheese board (Ive built 4 of these now all stable and 1 runs 24/7 and 2 more run 14 hours/day.. 2 of which are o/c'd 10 percent or more) is the FIC AZ11E(A).. what a fantastic cheap board (even has windows based fsb push utility :).) I have had a ZERO failure rate with this board!!!

However.. the reason i am a builder now is because of the issues I've encountered with problematic mobos (compaqs mostly).. So i always steer for higher quality and bear the increase in price.. I dont mean to offend anyone using this board as im sure there are folks who are happy with it :D.. It's just that i only bought the board because of the deal. But hey, i might change my mind when ricky slaps it together (wifes brother).. Perhaps i shouldn't judge a book by its reviews and feedback before trying it :D

Thanks for DA BOOST ]-[itman !!!!!!

Loud: i feel your pain bro.. I dipped into my lunch money to buy the combo. so i get to skip lunch for a week ( i weigh 220 anyway need to lose weight) wife didnt snivel about me shelling for the XP rig based on the fact i wasn't going to build anymore this year OOOOPPPSSS :eek: "is that what i said??.. you must have misunderstood me.. i said i would not build another one like this one this year" LOL <as walaka7 gets slapped> hehe
Yeha i get those lightning storms when im at ranch (east of roswell) they play he!! on electricity and the electronics that use it :(

FOLD ON 32!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRGGG.. HAd temp spike in house today (got 90* f around puter).. it caused the over voltage alarm to go off and shut the XP rig down today around 1:00 pm :(. so i lost about 8 hours of folding on this rig.. I gotta figure out a way to cool this area down!!!! It wasnt even that hot today.... I thought one of my pumps went down on water cooler. so i threw A volcano 6 Cu on the rig powered up and temps went through the roof!! I shut it down @55* C (about 134* F) and hooked up water cooler again.. Temps still higher than norm (47.5*C now) and water temp went over 100 * F <sigh> now i didn't do the temp tweak (which i hear corrects an error that bios had that read 6-8*c hotter than reality)but still i dont want my rig running that hot. So for now.. im clocked down again (around 1717 maybe go lower :(.) until i complete phase shift project (2-3 more weeks)

PS: is the volcano 6cu that bad of a HSF?? or is the xp just too much for it givin the heat conditions ( i had a good footprint with the AS2

walaka7 said:
or is the xp just too much for it givin the heat conditions

bingo! The 6cu isn't too bad of a hs, but these XP's really produce some serious heat when oc'd. Given your heat conditions, you really wouldn't be able to use the hs. It just isn't "heavy duty" enough for it's environment. Sorry to hear about the cutback, but you should still hit 500 by b-day!

Yes, thanks to added support, 500 will be a reality giving nothing catastrophic happens :clap:

I cut back to 1705 mhz <sigh> but i guess I could have wound up with worse

Last edited:
Congrats Walaka, looks like you're in there. Now start gearing up for Cluster's competition!!!

Cheers,
Wedo

It looks like the cutback was enough today.. I am having second problem now.. i have a small chip on video card that is running 153* F :eek:. the ram on card is running hot as well (125* F).. so i am slapping a couple of heat sinks on there until i can make some that fit right..

Tweaked: It was either laugh or cry... i cried then.. Especially since is was my first shot at highend system.. I was devastated as i though i screwed up the whole project, being a grommet and all ..that week i went through 2 mobos (defects) and a PSU (also defect dont ask me what caused what though ) and i had unlocked the cpu and worked it on my cheese board to make sure all was well before i put the rig together.. so i had to eat the cpu.. But hey, its all behind me now and i must say, even though i went through he!! and back (as a grommet/newbie no less) it all is working out pretty well now as this rig runs pretty hard (cant wait to finish my first extreme cooling project on this thing :D) Until yesturday, this rig has been running 24/7 with IE being only problem.. So I MUST :) for it could have been much worse than it was ( I could have givin up) my saga is on my home page xp project http://home.earthlink.net/~walaka7

Thanks Wedo!
I picked up some much needed help along the way. Cluster, Loud, and ]-[itman all dug deep to boost my production enough to make it :clap:.. As for contest, i am going to add a 1.2Duron@:mad: (meant hot as will go hehe) I will be tearing down XP rig during contest as i cant wait much longer ( im either gonna have to clock it down or get that fridge hooked up quick and i dun wanna run any slower than the 1705 im running now) I agreed to run creative's update drivers on audigy card i bought that didnt work, I need to Fdisk backup drive (Ive slop installed ME for now) and institute anti condensation measures on board and reservoir. But i did enter (as i cannot piggy back to help anyone else :(.) and i will at least be running 3 rigs (about 2.7-3.0 ghz)

FOLD ON 32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

walaka7 said:
Just added another 1.2 Duron to the fold :clap: Its too hot to O/C right now.. will work on airflow as long as i can see one object with both eyes open.

Cheers to you, but you better get that new Fry's purchase moving because I'm coming up on you and I'm reaching for the little button marked turbo!!!

Pain goes away, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. :eek:

Wedo

Hopefully I will hit 500 by my birthday. I am current on my 3rd unit. Hahaha. I guess it is a good thing that my birthday isn't until October. Think I can reach it by then?

with that folding powerhouse goin 24/7 i dont see why not.. Especially with a little TLO/C :)

Update on Duron/ECS rig:
This rig is way unstable.. Im getting shutdowns whenever i go into power save mode..or whenever i close pcanywhere using a remote puter :( am currently working on problem.. i may not finish the protein a it got today

Last edited:
Back