• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini-ATX with Mini-PCIe slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BatmansHardware

Registered
I have a wifi card that uses a mini-PCIe slot. I want to get a Mini-ATX motherboard but it seems a lot of the new models don't have this slot or the slot is used by on board hardware. My wifi card has 3 antenna. Most of these motherboards have 2 antenna built in, but I need this card for range.

Does anyone know more about this? Are the mini-PCIe simply all phased out? or is there a range of stuff I know nothing about?

I have an intel CPU. i5

There is no "mini-ATX". Do you mean mini ITX or micro ATX? Also there are many different sockets that use i5 CPUs - LGA 1366, 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156. What socket do you have?

And yes, older motherboards had mini PCIe slots while newer ones have M.2 (NGFF) which are a different form factor. They use different connectors and each type of card requires a compatible slot in the system board. Your mini PCIE WiFi card cannot be used in a new motherboard with the M.2 connector.

There is no "mini-ATX". Do you mean mini ITX or micro ATX? Also there are many different sockets that use i5 CPUs - LGA 1366, 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156. What socket do you have?

And yes, older motherboards had mini PCIe slots while newer ones have M.2 (NGFF) which are a different form factor. They use different connectors and each type of card requires a compatible slot in the system board. Your mini PCIE WiFi card cannot be used in a new motherboard with the M.2 connector.

MicroATX

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K

socket 1155

ASUS B150M does this board have mini PCIe slots? http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/B150M-Pro-Gaming-2D.jpg

Back