• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mini fridge problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeCrappa

i've gotten everything insulated and everything. i have my heatercore inside the freezer and my reservoir inside the freezer too. i'm getting some crappy temps. just as if i was watercooling with a fan. i need a better way of transfering the cold from the freezer. any ideas?

Like everyone else, gently remove the evaporator shelf and submerge in a large reservior.

If you got money and/or copper, you could try making a large waterblock to bolt to the shelf...not very practical, but it should get much better results than air transfer would.
A twist on this idea is to make a copper coil to replace the radiator, and sandwich it to the shelf with a couple pieces of styrene and plywood.

Just a couple of thoughts, none of this has been used by me.:D

Put a fan on the heater core. The wind chill factor will lower the water temps dramatically. But get ready for a condensation machine.:cool:

To a large extent you are still relying on air cooling and as you know air is not very good. I tried the res in the freezer and it didn't work for me either. It all comes down to the number of heat transfers involved. Each transfer results in a reduction in performance. Closer you can get the source of cooling to the object the better it is. e.g. using a chiller the heat goes core-w/b-coolant-evaporator-freon-condenser-air. The next best thing is to remove the coolant phase and go core-evaporator-freon-condenser-air.

Tiger said:
. Closer you can get the source of cooling to the object the better it is. e.g. using a chiller the heat goes core-w/b-coolant-evaporator-freon-condenser-air. The next best thing is to remove the coolant phase and go core-evaporator-freon-condenser-air.
I don't know exactly what you are trying to say there. Vapo-chill?

racecar12 said:
I don't know exactly what you are trying to say there. Vapo-chill?
Vapochill make one but with the right knowledge you could build your own for a fraction of the price.

i can't remove the evaporator...the whole thing is like a stiff shelf its not flexible at all...plus its too big to fit in any container i can get. i think i'll put a fan on the heatercore and see where that takes me.

Last edited:
well i'm at 25C idle and 28.5C load (after playing CS for 20 mins). i'm wondering if my thermistor is accurate. would anyone know a better way for me to check my temps?

JoeCrappa said:
what kind of temps should i be expecting from the CPU in my sig below? around 10-15c?
Yeah I was getting like 17c full load w/ a 1333@1600 2.05vcore with my first fridge setup which was similar to the setup you are describing. I setup another method but this style fridge has got the condesor built into the case and can't cool the refrigerant and would not last long. So I am going to rape the compressor and do somthing different.

actually the high temps were due to high voltage. i'm now at 1.75 volts and its running 18.5C. i'm not sure these temps are reliable because i insulated my motherboard and whatnot. i think the probe is touching the back of the CPU but i'm not sure. i also have a lot of silicone behind the cpu and what not.

Are you using the thermal probe from the MB? If you are, you may want to think about using thermal probes like those from a digidoc to get your temps.

yeah i know...but i dont know how to mount the probes to get accurate temps. i heard you had to put a hole in your HS...i dont want to do that. also, wouldn't it get the temp from the HS and not the CPU die?

No, drilling is not necessary. All you ahve to do is make a part of the probe touch the edge of the core and most people say that these would be pretty accurate readings. If you are using a shim, it may be impossible to fit a temp probe under the hsf. Oh yeah, tape down the temp prob and make sure that it isnt restricting the hsf from making good contact with the core. You wouldnt want a burned cpu now would you?

sounds good. maybe i'll buy a temp probe when i buy some AS3...does anyone know where i can get a cheap one for like 10 bucks?

Probably hit a Home Depot for something that will work. A couple of the guys on here have doen just that if fact. Make sure the one you get has a flat probe not a round one if it is going right next to the CPU core, other wise, the probe will lift the HS off of the core.

Joe, I to tell you the truth, I really dont know which would be higher, but my guess would be that the die is much hotter than the backside of the cpu. I guess that may be the reason that the Asus temp sensors are usually higher than the actual temps, to counter what thermal resistance is present for the heat to pass through to the backside of the cpu. Also, other things that may affect your current temps would be teh silicon sealant you used, but I dont see how it would register higher temps though. Try the thermal probes and see how it goes. You should be able to find some at Radio Shack.

Back