• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mint 8 Died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanBest

So I get up this morning and boot up ... Mint shows the Mint logo then goes blank ... no desktop.

I reboot and try again. Same thing. Boot into recovery mode and try to fix any broken packages. It runs ok, but none were broken.

I then resumed normal boot and it runs and logs me via the terminal.

What do I do next?

No time to Google a bunch of stuff I'm getting ready to head to class. Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction by the time I get back.

Thanks!

sounds like X11 is broken...possibly a driver. from the cli look at the /var/logs/Xorg.1.log

Code:
# cat /var/log/Xorg.1.log | grep EE
to show any error lines

There were a few yesterday. Honestly don't remember what they were, but I know they were really small. Few KBs in all.

I'll check the log and post back.

Also once I get to the blank screen I can't even switch over to the tty terminal. Using the recovery boot I can get to the tty terminal though.

Last edited:
Only error it shows was something regarding my keyboard initializing relative axes. But the keyboard lit up and works fine in the terminal so.

Something with the video driver must not be working. Rebooted and the monitor is switching from Analog to Digital and back and forth then went black (not blank, but black like off, but powered on). When in the recovery terminal I ran aticonfig --initial and it said reading xorg.conf then backed t up and saved it correctly like it should, rebooted and nothing still.

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Code:
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) Razer Reclusa Keyboard: failed to initialize for relative axes.

grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Code:
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found
(WW) fglrx(0): could not detect X server version (query_status=-1)

Uninstalled the ATI drivers in recovery mode and got back to the desktop. Going to reinstall them. Did a search and seems a few people are having blank screens today. Some update from yesterday maybe. Most posts started last night or today after a reboot. Some are ATI and others are Nvidia users.

Reinstall of the ATI drivers has fixed the problem. No idea what it was, but it's working now.

Thanks for the help!

ya, i experience drive corruption or lack of dep mod running after an update... the last few kernel updates have failed to link the drivers properly... very annoying

No problem. After reading that others on other forums had the same problem on the same day after whatever updates, figured people here might have the same issue.

Back