• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mint 8 RC1 Released!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flurp

hmm going to look into this :)

Edit: alright so using it now... not bad had a few bumps but it's a RC so it's expected... nice so far :)

Last edited:

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Been running this a few days now on my desktop and I havent bumped into any major problems.

I still have the same gripes about grub2 but thats not Mint's fault

FudgeNuggets

Installing it right now via the Live CD on Bootcamp in OS-X on the Mac Mini. I've about had it with Snow Leopard. It was great out of the box and then their last 2 updates have messed things up. Tiger made me a believer. Snow Leopard is driving me away. I'll see how it goes for a bit with Mint and decide if I'm going to keep it or install Windows 7. I have it running in a VM now and it's better than XP by far as security goes but with XP all of the spyware, malware, popups, drive-bys etc... have me hesitant to ever go back.

Satyrist

Just realized it was only 32-bit version

Who uses 32-bit anymore anyway?

The maintainers have generally claimed that the 32bit versions have been more stable, though they may mean that it's simply had more testing than the 64bit versions.

FudgeNuggets

Just realized it was only 32-bit version

Who uses 32-bit anymore anyway?

People who have Macs with 64-bit CPUs and 32bit EFIs :bang head

Also from what I hear, 64-bit is still sketchy on driver support in Ubuntu/Mint. Especially when it comes to vid cards, sound, wireless and bluetooth.

FudgeNuggets

If I'm going to choose Mint over Win7, this is going to take some getting used to. I've always like Mint as far as Linux go but I must say that the locations of things like system settings and stuff is a little scattershot. I'll need to do some customizing in order to tidy it up.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I tend to agree Fudge, I am not a fan of the way some of the new mechanics work. But thats progress for you I suppose

curtis1552

Well, I thought the mint menu was horrible compared to the standard gnome menu at first, but I grew to like it.

You can change to a standard Gnome menu, remove the mint menu from the taskbar and add the standard gnome one, it's one of the options.

FudgeNuggets

I don't mind it. It's just that it's not large enough and there are too many entries in it for things that could be under just one entry like say "System Preferences" or something similar.