• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing 30gigs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok last week I got my computer all together. When I boot up and got to my desk top I went to check everything. To my surprise I'm missin 30 gigs out of my 60gig hard drive. What could've happen to the other 30 gigs?

Tipycol

Maybe they sent you a mislabled hard drive or something ;)
Were you overclocked when you formatted the drive? I can't really think of any other reasons why you'd be missing 30GB of space. When you check your space (or even in the bios during POST), does it say it's a 30GB harddrive?

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Could it be possible that some of the clusters are bad? It is possible they sent you a bad or the wrong hard drive. Check it out.

FTC

Klownin79,

Look at the partition table and available space with PMagic, FDISK, Win2K admin tool or something. If the space is there then maybe it is not partitioned, or belongs to a partition but is being used by some gigantic hidden file, or just and simple the partition is not formatted (and the data underneath happens to be valid for a FAT32 30Gb partition or so).

If space is not phisically there, then look at the S/N of the drive and check into the manufacturer's site that you have the drive you are supposed to.

Failing all of the above, your drive could have been configured by default with an 'adressing' mask to solve old bios compatibility problems by hiding parts of the available space. You will have to check with manufacturer, but I can tell you for instance that IBM hdds allow for this through the Drive Feature Tool disk.

Regards
FTC

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Well this is the same 60 gigs I have been using. With my Dragon+ it showed up as 60 and when I switched to the KT400 Dragon Ultra and formatted it was no longer there. Seems kinda weird to me I guess if anything I can try to format again when I get the computer all put together again(small water leak) also it is a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 7200RPM.