• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing Memory Brands!! This could really suck...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a jam right now. I'm a 3d anim8tor and my scenes are getting a little huge and my 1gig of Corsair XMS PC 3500 memory is just not up to the task anymore. Ofcourse this type of memory is harder to find then a pink elephant so i'm wondering if I could mix some Mushkin PC3500 with it? Again this memory is also overclocked which really sucks since overclocking + different memory makes = trouble. Anyone have any thoughts on this or do any of you guys know of a place that sells XMS 3500 (256 or 512)? Newegg actually has the *new* pc3500 for a real steal of only $280. Prob. is that ram is ECC enabled and well $280 is a tad much for memory.

Thanx for any advice you guys can offer!

dicecca112

I haven't done it personally but have seen plenty of people that mix types of memory and have had no problems. As long as it all is the same speed that is, which yours is. But yes like you said overclocking could be a problem

OP
A

Atari

Yea I know so I guess it's a crap shoot to see whether or not I will get blue screens or not mixing memory brands. I may have to take the bullet and order me some good mushkin pc3500 and pray that I wont have problems with it.

OP
A

Atari

Yea thats true.. I'm ofcourse keeping the same speed of modules. (i.e PC3500) but i'm mixing BH-5 chips with CH-5 Chips. That is the real problem who knows how mixing these will react.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-297&depa=1

This is the stuff i'm looking at. I might just do one stick to see if I run into problems or not before I try to slam in 2 sticks.

Here is my system specs:

P4 2.4c @ 3.3ghz - 5:4
Abit IC7 (ver 1.x)
2x512 corsair XMS pc3500
Leadtek FX5900nu
2x 80gb WD (spec. edition)
1x 20gb WD (operating system hd)
Antec TruPower 550W

imaboutaquit

I just did the mixing of ram thing and from my experience with it, I wouldnt do it! My system had crucial pc2700 @195 running totally stable. I needed another stick of 512 to make a gig so I could play Far Cry well. I bought mushkin basic pc3200 because it got good reviews at newegg and I knew it wouldnt be run above its rated speed(actually under). I have had nothing but random lockups since. It doesnt seem to matter what timings, volts or speed for that matter. Its not even stable at 166 anymore. I will be matching the mushkin and getting rid of the crucial. Just my 2 cents!

OP
A

Atari

Just an update.. Can anyone give me their recommendation on which way to go? I have 2 memory makers that i'm looking to buy 2x256 pc3500 modules for to see if they will work with my current 2x512 pc3500 corsair modules.

They are the Mushkin Level 1 black
Or
OCZ Dual Channel Optimized 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3500

Can anyone tell me which would be the best odds here? Even if it's a guess I dont care at this point.. Thanks again guys for ANY help on this.

orange400

Well ... taking in thought you're overclocking two different pieces ... I think it's time to find the pink elephant.

edit: Unless you want to sell your piece of RAM and buy two of the same stick.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
orange400 said:
Well ... taking in thought you're overclocking two different pieces ... I think it's time to find the pink elephant.

edit: Unless you want to sell your piece of RAM and buy two of the same stick.

I would be leary of mixing bh-5 and ch-5, then trying to overclock them as they are going to respond differently to voltage increases, etc.

In my opinion, this is the best "most likely to work without a flaw" option you have. You would be selling a highly sought after ram so you should have no troubles selling it at a fair price, then you could go out, with your profits, and buy whatever was currently available, matched to your system specs. While you would give up your bh-5, which I know is like telling an overclocler to decide which nut you want to part with, in the end, you would have the most stable setup.

Have you even tried to find another matching set of ram in the classifieds? While riskier from the sense of not buying new, (no RMA options), it would allow you to keep your bh-5 and achieve all of your objectives.