• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mmmmm... mini mac

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tycho

Mini Mac Link

I'm very tempted by this machine but i think that i'll wait until
until the hardware is in reviewers hands. I want to know
how easy it is to add ram and a bigger hard drive yourself.
Looks to be a great small quiet server appliance.

Moto7451

Senior Something
I hope to be getting one. It would make a good upgrade over my current Mac. The RAM slot is a standard DIMM slot. The hard drive is probably hidden under the Combo drive. Its a fun little machine I think.

Fr3ak

omg why did I just buy a iBook... :/
well its not the fastest, same gpu and almost same cpu as the iBook has, but that thing is the best looking video streaming client/surfing station, whatever it will be used for I ve seen so far :)
And Mac OS X is a nice os as soon as you get used to it. I didnt like it much in the beginning, but now I am really happy with it, its so simple ;)

CL56

Registered
I was just playing. It would be perfect for my girlfriend. But i would never let her get a mac.
Also the basic setup is cheap but if you want to upgrade it gets really expensive

Cyberwiz01

That is a pretty impressive piece of engineering. It seems about the size of a mircroITX board, but packs the power of a 1.something GHz G4. That would blow any ITX out of the water. And the design makes even the most refined shuttle like system look like a gargantuan beige tower (note: I am a proud shuttle owner, but that mac is amazing).
And the price is not much more than a decked out shuttle barebones system.

Thingi

theMonster said:
I'll be buying one, can't wait to see how it does in AV coding vs my Athlon 2.45ghz.

Well my iBook G4 1Ghz is comparable to a 1.8Ghz (ish) Athlon. The Altivec unit in G4's really kick *** for encode/decode, miles better than x86 sse type instructions.

During video encoding the extra grunt of the mac mini 1.46Ghz version should at least put you in the same kind of fps ballpark as your Athlon rig.

thingi :)

Gtg948g

I think it would be a little more impressive if the power supply was internal instead of a separate brick. As it is, it is still a nice piece of engineering.

MLMIB

I heard the hd it a 2.5 inch hd(front page) makin it harder to upgrade, but still quite nice, I'm gettin one with bluetooth 'n wireless and makin it a fully wireless comp here at college(only power 'n video wires)

I'm hopin a g5 version comes out soon :D

MonroeM

^^a G5 would be really nice, but would need more room for better cooling, which is probably why the Mini Mac is a G4.

I was seriously considering buying one ASAP... but I think I'm going to save up for a G5... or just keep it all in the bank and wait for a G6. xD

My iBook turned me onto Apple's products big-time. I was a proud owner of a Gen2 iPod for a few years and finally bought an iBook for school. Love it.

Nandro

Disabled
this should be a huge boost for apple as far as getting mac's in the hands of wintel users. This along with the increased availability of games on the mac will have alot of people converting. I know my boss saw it and is considering it for our office counter because they need net access and the ding dongs up front keep on installing spyware and viruses which mac's are much less prone to. I sold my Dual G4 system last year and main reason was lack of games. Now it appears they are somewhat catching up. I would like a GOOD alternative to the PC on all fronts.

MonroeM

@Nandro

Well Macs are the way to go for an alternative in terms of ease of use. I got the hang of my Mac within two days, the third, I was playing around in the terminal and brought my iBook to my Linux course and used UNIX commands on it.

I've noticed a lot of games have cropped up within the last year, which is awesome. Apple is getting noticibly bigger than they were just a few years ago. Eventually we'll all be using Macs. =D

... well maybe not, but I can dream.

Everything just feels more smooth and integrated, rather thank clunky and lacking, like Windows and Linux feels sometimes.