• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile AMD XP's, whats the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

OK, I don't get it. What is the difference between a regular XP and a mobile XP. Their both socket A right? They run at all the same speeds (now up to 2200+). So the only difference I THINK I can find is that the mobiles use less wattage. But then, why don't they use them in regular setups? I always thought mobile processors (amd or intel) used different sockets to squeeze into those laptop mobo's...

so confused... enlighten me!

thanks

OP
H

h0mersimps0n

I thought ALL t-breds were factory unlocked...

this concept of calling them mobile is still confusing

markodude

Do the mobile XP's not run a lower vCore meaning that hopefully they will allow a higher OC than the desktop counterpart (at a lower voltage) ??

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
mobiles

markodude said:
Do the mobile XP's not run a lower vCore meaning that hopefully they will allow a higher OC than the desktop counterpart (at a lower voltage) ??

That's what logic would dictate. They run stock speed at 1.5v, so at 1.65v (Tbred A stock voltage) maybe they run at the higher range (like 1.7-1.8 Ghz), and overvolted and extrememly cooled they should do close to 2 Ghz. Still hard pressed to beat an Agoia 1600+...

toastedzergling

Mobile XPs are high yield chips that can run at a lower voltage, so they should be mad overclockers, they fit in regular socket A motherboards, they also supports Cool'N'Quiet technology, which allows changing the CPU core clock frequency depending on its utilization. Of course, this technology should be supported by the BIOS and the operation system, such as Windows XP. Today only the following mainboards support this technology:

ASUS A7A266 (Board Rev.1.03) BIOS Ver.1010
ASUS A7M266 (Board Rev.1.04) BIOS Ver.1007
ASUS A7S333 (Board Rev.1.03) BIOS Ver.1004
ASUS A7V266 (Board Rev.1.05) BIOS Ver.1002c
MSI KT3 Ultra BIOS Ver.5.4
MSI K7N420 Pro BIOS Ver.2.4

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I'm not exactly sure about the mobile chips, but if they do the same as the low watt MP chips then they run on a 100MHz bus.

I doubt this is the case considering the multiplier that would be needed but would make sense. I just can't imagine a regular Tbred being able to be cooled well enough by a laptop heatsink.

Top Hat Theater

You can get them as either 100MHz or 133MHz bus. Mine is a 133MHz "C" chip. It runs at a default Vcore of 1.5 and I have it running at 1990MHz at 1.85Vcore. The chip will do 2.14GHz however that requires 2.2Vcore.

~THT