• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whr2206

OK, my system is too hot.(150f, this registered on every motherboard monitor i got, and in bios!) I have a global win h/f on my pc, and 2 add. fans in the case. Should I buy a better motherboard heat sink, with a fan on it? And also, do you think my voodoo 3 needs to be cooled anymore? Someone suggested that those 3 things need to be ffixed with better coolers. I'm not overclocking, I'm just playing games on my k7 900mhz. thanks!

150F wow! Thats a lot. I don't think you are getting enough airflow in the case. What are your ambient temps in the room?

I would guess something has gone terribly wrong with your heatsink. Even with a stock HSF your temps shouldn't be that high.

i would say something is wrong with BOTH your HSF and your airflow....one your HSF is hot if 150 is the temp of cpu and two your system has to be hot because of having a 150 degree cpu in there...make sure that the HSF is mounted good on the cpu, it may not be making a good contact

NyTe (Jul 25, 2001 03:21 a.m.):
i would say something is wrong with BOTH your HSF and your airflow....one your HSF is hot if 150 is the temp of cpu and two your system has to be hot because of having a 150 degree cpu in there...make sure that the HSF is mounted good on the cpu, it may not be making a good contact

...and check whether thermal paste was used in place of the pink chewing-gum-like substance. Some HSFs I've seen have some of the pink gunk coming off when you tear off the plastic seal. If some incompetent OEM assembler fitted the HSF on for you, he/she may not have bothered that some chunks of the pink gunk have come off the HSF with the plastic seal. Check the bottom surface of your HSF to see the surface finish. Maybe you're unlucky enough to get one with big scratches or dents or maybe it's just poorly finished.

It's common to have thermal tape (aka pink chewing-gum-like-substance, aka crap) and a poor heatsink included with your processor. My Tbird 700mhz shipped with thermal tape and a golden orb =(. If you do have that junk on there, clean it off thourougly w/ rubbing alcohol w/ a lint free cloth. Then apply a thin layer of thermal grease (you can buy generic thermal grease at Radio Shack, or the superior Arctic Silver 2 at 2cooltek ) and pick up some case fans also. (note- don't buy case fans from radio shack though, they are overpriced.) If your cpu is still too hot, you may also want to purchase a better heatsink & fan.

try updating the bios, my bios said my cpu was 70 degriees celcus all the time till i updated

I would get some more cool air moving over your mobo. Get a hard disk cooler, one that fits the 5.25 bay. Fix it so that the fans blow over the mobo. This will lower your readings alittle.
My readings
Mobo 93F
Cpu 86F
Case 82F

Back