• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo damaged, need advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rjiemamam

ok. i was working today with my newly home made 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor. it supposedly would work, but i damaged it in the process of installing it. i accidentally screwed my screw into it, maybe taking off 1-2 mm out of it. heres the picture to so you can see better. compare it with the top ones.

can i fix this or have someone replace it? i tried to turn it on, it would start, but it wouldnt boot.

on a brighter note. the adaptor works! i'll have more on that in the cooling forum after i get this fixed. thanks in advance.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
What exactly did you damage???
The pic looks like you hit a Capacitor …
If that is the case, it can easily be fixed, trust me, I know :)

OP
R

rjiemamam

yes. the circular column thing. . how? i dont know anything about capacitors

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Here is the general idea

What you are going to need to do is....
Find out the Voltage of that CAP ( probly 6.3V)
And find the capacitance, µF, (probly 1000µF -1500µF)

Once you have this info if can buy a new CAP, it will cost under $.50.
But since we are overclockers…. We might as well replace the cap with once that has a little more punch. So when you goto buy a new CAP, you may want to get one rated for a higher voltage…..

This is the tricky part.
Soldering Iron (fine tip), Solder and a Fine Point Scraper are req. Solder sucker if you have one is nice… but not req.

Step 1: Removing the OLD CAP
Remove MB from case, and everything attached (RAM ect)
On the back of your motherboard, were the leads from the CAP stick out, you will need to touch the HOT Soldering Iron on them so the Solder melts and you can remove the cap… The cap may not fall off so a small tug may be req.

Step 2: Inserting the NEW CAP
Insert the new CAP leads into the two holes (may have to sand the leads a little to make them fit) from when you removed the OLD CAP….
ENSURE that you put the CAP in the correct way, Positive to Positive. (the longer lead on the CAP is Positive, and the board should be marked for what hole is positive)
And be sure that the CAP is not blocking anything on the front side of the MB, and this holds even more true if you get a LARGER CAP.

Step 3: Soldering the new cap
On the back of the motherboard, you are going to solder the two leads from the cap to the motherboard. Don’t apply too much heat to the new CAP. Heat can kill it, so make you connections quickly…. A small heatsink on the CAP may also be a good idea. You need little Solder, and once the NEW CAP is Soldered into place, ensure that no extra solder is touching anything that it shouldn’t be touching. Use the Scraper to clean around your solder job, double checking you didn’t connect anything else by mistake. Then Cut off the extra length from the caps (as they will stick out about 5cm before you cut them.

And with any luck, your done, and have a working board again.

Saved a Abit BF6 like this, I Blew 3 CAPS ,6.3V, 1500 µF
And replaced then with 3, 25V, 1500 µF CAPS

OP
R

rjiemamam

thanks for the advise. i think i might screw up on the job. would you know a common place like radio shack that would help me replace it?

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
You can but the cap from Mouser. Be sure to look for a low ESR cap. A good radio/TV repair shop should be able to replace it for a few bucks. They may even have the appropriate cap in their shop.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
If you dont want to order online...
THE YELLOW PAGES, may have the answer you need.....
look up electronic stores/suppliers...
and they may know someone/place that can do some soldering for you if you dont feel upto it....

here is a poor pic of my 25V caps, vs the 6.3 originals....
they are big.... something to watch out for if you put higher rated ones in on your board.

OP
R

rjiemamam

ahh. thanks for the help. i found that i have a whole bunch of capacitors of the same voltage/up as the one damaged on a dead motherboard that i have. i'm going to try it myself and get a soldering kit or something. thanks again.

OP
R

rjiemamam

its fixed. i took off one of the capacitors from a dead mobo, replaced it. i cant insert the capacitor's pin back in the hole, i found some wire, connect the leg of the capacitor and the hole together, positive to positive, negative to negative. now its back up and running. thanks for all the help. and for the 120mm adaptor... it dropped me 3-4 C. with a delta 86cfm fan. i'll have the details in the cooling forum.

Resqme

Jay

I kinda have the same promblem except my capasitor was knocked of and still have 2 little post that stick up i have the new capasitor but on my mother board it really does not say + or-
it just has a circle around it with half of it colored white and the other half is blank am i to assume that the white side is positve?
Thanks