• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo diagnosis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jammerb

Greetings OC'ers!

I would like to ask for your assistance diagnosing a dead system. I have an Asus A7V-133, T'bird 1.2, 256mb ram, Radeon AIW video and SB Live 5.1. Here are the symptoms:

I boot the system and get a single POST beep, just like normal and that's where it stops. I get no BIOS splash and the monitor doesn't get "woken up", ie the led on the monitor flashes as though it is in sleep mode. I swapped the mobo and processor with an Intel 800 and ASUS P3Bf with all the same hd, vid, sound, etc. and successfully booted.

It appears that my Mobo has gone south. Does this sound like an accurate diagnosis?

thanks in advance

Maximouse

jammerb said:
Greetings OC'ers!

I would like to ask for your assistance diagnosing a dead system. I have an Asus A7V-133, T'bird 1.2, 256mb ram, Radeon AIW video and SB Live 5.1. Here are the symptoms:

I boot the system and get a single POST beep, just like normal and that's where it stops. I get no BIOS splash and the monitor doesn't get "woken up", ie the led on the monitor flashes as though it is in sleep mode. I swapped the mobo and processor with an Intel 800 and ASUS P3Bf with all the same hd, vid, sound, etc. and successfully booted.

It appears that my Mobo has gone south. Does this sound like an accurate diagnosis?

thanks in advance

first off.
Welcome to the Forums:)

You can try running the system without the HD, FD and Soundcard. If that still will not work, then try removing the board from the case and booting it. I have had the same problems with 2 of my setups when I plug one of my live 5.1 cards in.

In my Abit, the board would not run at all with the soundcard installed, while with my MSI, it would if the card was reseated a couple of times.

The single beep usually indicates a succesful post, so maybe one of your pci cards is causing a problem.

Good Luck.
Al

maxima88

I agree that it might be one of your other components.
Try booting your mobo with only the cpu, hs and memory and hd while it's out of the case.

good luck.

OP
J

jammerb

Thank you both for your replies. I have had this setup for about a year and a half with no problems at all, so I was a bit discouraged with this latest incident. I'll let you know what I find.

OP
J

jammerb

OK, I removed the mobo from the case, installed the video card, connected the HS fan and power connector. Same result. One POST beep then nothing. HELP!!! I am using the Intel setup (PIII 600 and P3BF mobo along with original "other" devices) to post this reply. Anyone?

OP
J

jammerb

The problem appears to be a bad DIMM stick. I was able to boot after changing the memory. I'm still confused why I got a good POST beep, though.

Maximouse

jammerb said:
The problem appears to be a bad DIMM stick. I was able to boot after changing the memory. I'm still confused why I got a good POST beep, though.

I have known some computers to post successfully and then fail when booting the OS because of bad ram. I guess it depends just where the error is on the stick. As well, with the quick bios check enabled by default, the memory test at first startup is probably not intensive enough to catch an error sometimes.

Good that you got it going though:)

Al

OP
J

jammerb

What's even more strange is the same ram that my AMD/Asus A7V would not boot with, the PIII/P3BF works just fine. Could it be a speed issue (A7V=133,P3BF=100)?

Maximouse

jammerb said:
What's even more strange is the same ram that my AMD/Asus A7V would not boot with, the PIII/P3BF works just fine. Could it be a speed issue (A7V=133,P3BF=100)?

Sounds like that could be the problem then. Any numbers stamped on the chips? That would probably give you the speed rating.

Al