• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Mobo for 3930k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlargCraft

Registered
I recently decided to buy a 3930k and was now wondering about the motherboard I should get. To be honest I want something preferably in the 200 range (give or take) but after looking around I'm just not too sure what's the best option. The 4-channel memory boards sure are nice, but I highly doubt ill ever need that much memory (16 gb being more than enough at the moment). What do you guys recommend? It can be 4 channel or dual doesn't matter, just want to know the best bang for my buck overclocking wise at that price range :) thanks in advance

p.s. : even though im willing to cash out 200, cheaper would be appreciated if possible ;)

Well to be honest not a lot of decent boards to choose from Asus rampage yes, but not cheap! Maybe this would be as good or better than some i have seen posted on the forum? AJ.

This is not a budget friendly or entry level chip to begin with. It is a downright monster.

That is quite a Power Toy for sure! You must have some vision or purpose for what this high-dollar chip will do for you.

Two Questions:

1. Will putting it into a 'budget' motherboard impact that vision or purpose?

2. Would you be better off to save a little more and buy a better board in a month or three?

Only you know your needs, your financial resources and the limits of your self-discipline.

If I were you, I'd want to get that thing humming ASAP. But is that the best plan?

Good luck!

BachOn

Sabertooth, though a solid board, is too gimmicky for the price. It offers nothing more than bling and a longer warranty than other boards costing less.

Id go Asrock X79 Extreme 6 for $100+ less personally. Not to mention that is 50% above his budget.

ED has the best choice there as far as your price range goes.
the Asrock EX6 will easily do most of the things you need plus more.
unless you intend to go sub-zero, you dont need to go to the Rampage series yet. :)

enjoy!

I got the cpu for 400 actually out of luck. What would be best around 300? And mosfets get that hot with only 4.5? Also just looking to oc it to around 4.2 / 4.5 for 24/7 use.

I got the cpu for 400 actually out of luck. What would be best around 300? And mosfets get that hot with only 4.5? Also just looking to oc it to around 4.2 / 4.5 for 24/7 use.

Keep in mind 4.5 is more than a 1GHz OC from stock (Not quite so when considering Turbo..whatever). They don't get to needing active cooling solutions until after this point, but they really need it later. As ED stated, there are better boards for your needs than the Sabertooth-- This board is what I need for extreme overclocking, but it has had its share of gimmicks and troubles :(

And ED, it DOES offer more than bling! It offers a cooking surface on the mosfet hs :D

Last edited:
I'm going to go for that Asrock X79 Extreme 6 ED mentioned, seems like a solid board for what I want it (definitively not going sub-zero). may also water cool for the first time later on too. Thanks everyone, very helpful yet again :D

The key here are power phases. The Asrock has 12+2 while that Giga has 6+1. I think however the Giga has better quality phases... Honestly, they are either the same, or the Asrock is better. Just know when overclocking that CPU you will need to keep those VRM's cool...

(yeah.......that wasnt terribly helpful)

what about p9x79 deluxe? does nobody like this board or what? im pretty happy with mine.. its a good mobo and it's cheap?

also, somebody talking about power phases. p9x79 have this:

- Industry leading Digital 16 + 4 Phase CPU Power Design
- Industry leading Digital 2 + 2 Phase DRAM Power Design

if that is "better" in any way?

Last edited:
Back