• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo not recognizing CPU...Help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja ialac

I bought a new Athlon XP 2600+ and installed it into my Elitegroup L7VMM2 mobo. This mobo supposedly supports this chip if you update the BIOS. However, I updated the BIOS using a floppy through DOS and the CPU is listed as unknown at startup and in Windows XP Device Manager. The CPU is currently operating at the speed of my prior CPUm Athlon XP 2000+. I have the frequency jumpers set correctly to 166mhz. I've tried clearing the CMOS. Still no progress. I'd like to be able to run the CPU at its intended speed instead of paying $90 to get the same performance as my 2yr old CPU.

I'm waiting to hear back from Elite and I'm also waiting to contact AMD when they are open. In the meantime I thought I might as well try to resolve the problem even if it makes me want to jump out of my window.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was the 2600+ a mobile? If it is, then it'll NEVER recognize it!!! If not, then try dropping your FSB to 133 and checking your voltage, set it to 1.65. Also try resetting the CMOS using the jumper on the board.

Back