• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOBO restricts memory voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klinci

I recently changed my timigs on my memory sticks (2x 1GB Geil 800Mhz Dual Channel Kit). I've set them to 4 4 4 12 as the manufacturer guarantees them to work. Then i went on to increase my memory voltage from default 1.8V to 2.0-2.1V, but my mobo (Asus P5B-SE ) doesen't seem to allow me to go beyond 1.9V. So, my question is: Is there a chance that my mobo is limiting memory voltage and if it does ,is there a way to change it (i upgraded BIOS with no succes) ,maybe a reprogammed version of BIOS ? The other thing i'd like to know is if my curent 1.9v voltage is enough for cas 4 timings since the manufacturer says that default should be 2.1? If there is any way to reprogram BIOS or some other solution please do let me know. Thanks in advance.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Not even a modded BIOS will allow you to increase the DRAM voltage past the 1.9V limit. If Memtest86+ fails at 4-4-4-12 and 1.9V, then your only alternative (without purchasing any new hardware, like low voltage RAM or different board) is to loosen the timings; for example 4-4-4-15, 4-5-5-15, 5-4-4-15, etc. You might be able to find a DIMM mod online, which would require soldering of a potentiometer (or using SMD grabbers w/ an adjustable pot) allowing for adjustable resistance in the circuit.

OP
K

klinci

Thanks redduc900 for your help. I did not run memtest86 yet ,however i left prime95 to specifically stress the RAM overnight and no errors were found. I'll run memtest today also. Again thanks for all the info.