• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Shoot-out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ViolaDude said:
do any of the canterwoods have sata for IDE?

do you mean do they come with convertors to run your ide drives as sata drives? :rolleyes: i just purchased two converters to run my ide wd se 80s in sata raid 0 on my aopen ax4c-max...

<edit> good edit viola... now i understand you. it would be nice if these boards came with good 'ol highpoint ide raid or the equivalent, but as far as i know, none of them do. at least my aopen canterwood doesn't. :(

batboy said:
V-dude, as near as I can tell, the RAID is only for the Serial ATA, but you can convert a standard IDE drive to serial with an adapter (I think). It just won't run as fast as a true SATA drive of course.

probably right, bb, but i hope they're not that much slower. i'll let you know. as i posted before, my promise ide-sata converters are in my possession, and as soon as i get motivated enough i'll install them.

the reason i haven't yet is that i have one great very stable rig right now, and i'm having fun! i can't stop playing with it long enough to rock the boat. :eek:

pacino said:
P4C800, hands down... IC7 is a yummy... I'm going P4C800 personally :D

hi PACINO! good to see you again. i should have figured that the allure of canterwood would bring you back, as it did for me. i lurked for a couple of months not really wanting anything new until the new chipsets hit! time to play again!;)

Rasputin'sLiver said:

hi PACINO! good to see you again. i should have figured that the allure of canterwood would bring you back, as it did for me. i lurked for a couple of months not really wanting anything new until the new chipsets hit! time to play again!;)

What's up Rasie! .. Good to c u 2 :) .. It sure did, got a better job now, so more $$$$ to burn! hehehe

Does anyone know where to buy a MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R ? What do people think about the board? It seems to be great for o/c with all those voltages and stuff.

pacino said:

What's up Rasie! .. Good to c u 2 :) .. It sure did, got a better job now, so more $$$$ to burn! hehehe

things are picking up for me in the great computer wars -- got a 9800pro today to reside on my canterwood....:D

great computer wars? against who? the proteins your trying to map for team 32? btw, i envy your computer especially those pc3700 sticks

bb I found the Article i was talking about in March2003 MaximumPC page 27. It "did" use a Seagate Barracuda V harddrive. Again SATA is just a baby at this point. I'm certain over time the new ceiling will be utilized. Personally i just wouldn't use it as a primary buying point at this time. Most people will be upgrading by the time SATA is mainstream.

my MB suggestion is the Asus p4c800 from all the praise i've read on this board.

Can't go wrong with either the Asus P4C800 or the Abit IC7.

I just ordered two SATA Western Digital 10,000 RPM Raptors (the world's fastest non-SCSI drives). Got tired of waiting for the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 SATA drives.

Since one of these new SATA Raptors is "about" as fast as two ATA100 drives in RAID 0, I might set up the Raptors in RAID 1 (mirror) this time since I like having my "mission critical" stuff backed up. The cool thing about having two SATA drives on these new Canterwoods is that you can still use 4 regular IDE devices.

I have a Pioneer slot load DVD drive, a Sony 52X CD burner, and a Kenwood 72X True-X multi-beam CD-ROM (worlds fastest). This will let me use my old ATA100 IBM 40 gig hardrive for music downloads or other non-essential crap. Yeah, I know I can use the DVD or the burner as a CD-ROM, but I like having separate drives. Sometimes it's nice having 3 optical drives, so you don't have to constantly switch CDs in and out. You can also impress your non-geek friends when you say, "Yeah, I got 3 optical drives and 3 harddrives in my rig."

Last edited:
For speed you want RAID 0 (striped). RAID 1 (mirror) is for data backup.

No, the new Maxtors are 7,200 RPM SATA150 drives with 8 meg of cache. Not quite as fast as the Raptors, but they come in larger sizes (60, 80, 120, 160, and maybe 200 gig). The new Maxtor SATA drives are significantly faster than the current ATA133 IDE drives.

Now after some time in the sun, what do you think about the springdale and canterwood mobos?
Are people achieving higher o/c with the canterwoods?

batboy said:
The new Maxtor SATA drives are significantly faster than the current ATA133 IDE drives.
I haven't seen any indication of this. All of the SATA vs PATA benchmarks I've seen show comparable performance.

Just make sure if your going to use your old HDD (or two of them for RAID) on the IC7 you get TWO of SERIELLE2 adapters...or use the IDE connectors (but then you cant RAID your HDDs).

The only place I have seen the ABIT approved SERIELLE adapters was from excaliburpc.com

Good luck!

The "Mech"

865PE NEO2

Has any one tried this board 865PE NEO2 or at least seen a review? Its mad cheap here in Canada and I like the Idea of going to dual DDR but avoiding the 7205 boards.:D

Ohh and does the IC7 come with a 10/100 Ethernet port or nothing at all? I know the IC7-G get the gigabit lan but does the regular IC7 get any LAN?

Thanks,

Kam

The IC7 comes with NO LAN..... the IC7-G comes with Gigabit LAN. The only thing the IC7 has is onboard sound, and two SATA connectors.

Back