• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[MOD]Undercase/Back-lit mobo LED lights!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustDepends

Finally I got my lights in the mail from Beijing... LOL. Thought the address was kinda funny....
0127001944.jpg

So basically to connect the lights i made my own terminal block from to bolts.....
0127001452.jpg
It's cheaper and easier.

I wired the LEDS like so....
0127001620.jpg

Here is the schematic(wrong LED symbol i know)...
0111000050a.jpg
Also i didn't use 560 ohms resistors cause the ones i got camewith different ones that worked for 12v

On my soldering station(laundry bin)...
0127001619.jpg

Here is where i placed the LEDS under the case...
0127001518.jpg

End product.....
0127001819.jpg

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

Now time for the back-lit MOBO...

Needed a new terminal block...
0127001540.jpg

LEDS!:attn:....
0128001051.jpg

How i placed them....
0128001155.jpg

And the end result unerlights and all!!!!!!...
0128001218.jpg

The picture does not do justice but trust me it is one cool effect.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Don't get the whole taping wires to bolts purpose... but ok...

Looks nice, I would have soldered the LEDs to the board though for a better looking setup behind the scenes. The LEDs on the case bottom seem too temporary.

Dooms101

It looks really awesome great idea. But... something tells me using massive bolts for a terminal block is a bad idea. If you pressed the metal side panel and it touched one of the bolts a lot of very bad things could happen. I would recommend finding a spare SATA adapter or PCI-e power adapter with a molex connector on it's end and cutting it off. Then you could just solder all the LED wires to the wires coming out of the molex connector and you wouldn't need those bolts. Also... the whole taping thing and wires scattered all around is really messy looking. Maybe try cutting the LED wires to shorter length or consider drilling holes in the bottom of the case and routing the wires inside so they're hidden. Looks cool from the outside

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

Here's a little add-on.. actually a big add-on took a while to make it.

I figured out that the LEDS fit perfectly into the Antec 900 from cage covers... amazing i know.
0128002138a.jpg

Like a quarter way done...
0128002138.jpg

Completely done!
0129001403a.jpg

Could not get a good picture of the lights...
0129001400.jpg

It says Joe in case you can't tell..... and its red,orange,yellow for each letter. Hard to tell LOL.

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

It looks really awesome great idea. But... something tells me using massive bolts for a terminal block is a bad idea. If you pressed the metal side panel and it touched one of the bolts a lot of very bad things could happen. I would recommend finding a spare SATA adapter or PCI-e power adapter with a molex connector on it's end and cutting it off. Then you could just solder all the LED wires to the wires coming out of the molex connector and you wouldn't need those bolts. Also... the whole taping thing and wires scattered all around is really messy looking. Maybe try cutting the LED wires to shorter length or consider drilling holes in the bottom of the case and routing the wires inside so they're hidden. Looks cool from the outside

I smothered the bolts in tape.... then I turned my computer on and I shook my case around to make sure there that it won't short circuit. I've been running smooth since then:D.

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

Don't get the whole taping wires to bolts purpose... but ok...

Looks nice, I would have soldered the LEDs to the board though for a better looking setup behind the scenes. The LEDs on the case bottom seem too temporary.

The bolts are terminal block BTW, basically I connect the negative lead to the negative bolt and same for the positive. Its better then using like 50 molex connectors or connect them to one wire. I have to run them in parallel so this to me is the easiest solution.

Last edited:

JoshOohAh

Here's a little add-on.. actually a big add-on took a while to make it.

I figured out that the LEDS fit perfectly into the Antec 900 from cage covers... amazing i know.
0128002138a.jpg

Like a quarter way done...
0128002138.jpg

Completely done!
0129001403a.jpg

Could not get a good picture of the lights...
0129001400.jpg

It says Joe in case you can't tell..... and its red,orange,yellow for each letter. Hard to tell LOL.

THATS BAD @$$ MAKE ME ONE :D

Dooms101

I smothered the bolts in tape.... then I turned my computer on and I shook my case around to make sure there that it won't short circuit. I've been running smooth since then.

You shook your case around!? Well then... poor thing =(
As long as it's okay now and nothing is short circuiting. The "Joe" light thing looks pretty cool. I actually think the mobo back lighting looks awesome, I think I might try it as well =)