• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded case for a car.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok lastnight me and my Fiancee were talking about building a computer for the car. My idea is to have a Asus P2L97-S with a 266MHz P-II, 64m.b. or 128m.b. of PC100 ram, a DVD-Rom, 20gig H.D.D., a Audigy OEM, and lastly a Radeon 32m.b.. I want to be able to use it as a MP3 player and be able to watch DVD`s and be able to use my Tripmaker Deluxe Se. What type of cooling will I need. If we get the Blazer it will go right behind the drivers seat.

Cuper

I actually bought a "book" PC that I used in my car for a while. No extra cooling it was a 500 mhz cele with 512 mb and a 10 gb., One thing to consider is getting a notebook HD because it can stand up to more abuse!! I killed one drive before going to the notebook drive. if you have any questions feel free to ask me.:)

Cuper

You might be able to get a drive off ebay cheaper?? I haven't looked thou..

Coolio

IF you want to build one go ahead (it sounds like a fun project) but on this computer show they were showing a computer made for a car. Basically, the whole thing is in the trunk. There is also a VHS player and the back two passenger seats have access to a tv where VHS or dvd movies can be seen, the front panel has gps and a whole touchscreen setup for the radio, mp3's etc.

OFcourse teh main feature was that you could actually access the internet while on the road. It uses the same antenna as the one for your radio in your car to enable wireless internet:D

Inteleron

i'de agree w/ fuzzball i was planning on doing a backpack pc and i was going to use either a board from shuttle or asus. these mobos as there are almost the size of a cdrom... while looking for them i found this board which supports Celly-Ts this would be great you would need a nice g2mx/radeon pci card though :D

Shuttle FV25: http://www.shuttleonline.com/spec.php3?model=fv25
(would be perfect for a sooper small space)

if you dont need a mini mini mini board and just want some big ol' pc on your backseat, get a refurbished board ...can get some pretty new models for dirt cheap at newegg.com

also definitly use a notebook hdd and if you wanted to you could get a laptop card reader/adapter and get some wireless internet going... woohoo thats what i'de want :D

Last edited:

JDXNC

I've picked up a couple notebook hard drives of ebay all for less than $30 each, note that you will hae to get the adaptor to hook them up to standard IDE cable, but they're easy to get almost anywhere, and about the DVD, the 266 would be just fine with a hardware decoder card... also cheap on ebay, I have a Real Magic Hollywood Plus decoder running on a Pentium 120 serving as my home theater DVD player, it plays perfectly, so cpu speed is no issue with a decoder.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
If I already have an LCD for my navigation system in my car would I be able to hook up to my car pc system??

I don't have a car, but I am just wondering....

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
Hey Klownin post some pics when your done. I've been thinking about this idea for a while. Post pics mounted in their. Thanks bro.:D :beer:

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Big Nuttz said:
Hey Klownin post some pics when your done. I've been thinking about this idea for a while. Post pics mounted in their. Thanks bro.:D :beer:

No prob first we need to see about getting an SUV. Then I'm going to add the MP3 player,2X 12" Pyle Drivers in a Q-Logic bandpass box, a 800watt Pyle Driver amp,2 Sony 6x9 with an Alpine amp. . I was thinking about adding my 15" RockFord Fosgate DVC`s but I need a big amp to run them.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
silvershad0w said:
Hehe, sounds familiar... I've done the same thing in my truck, but i added a touch LCD screen and converted a majority of the dash controls over to computer control... its really kinda nice, especially the GPS. I wouldnt take the system out for anything, Id say go for it. Concerning the hard drives, I used normal drives, but the entire case I built with little shock absorbers from a surplus catolog to dampen the vibrations and bumbs, no problems so far. But notebook drives are a good idea I would speculate.

where did you get the touch scree?

how doest th at work
i think that woudl be the best way to interact with a car comptuer