• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded Xbox + HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quaxor

I am probably going to get an Xbox for Christmas and I will probably turn it into a media station. I will be storing music, movies, and maybe some roms on it. I'll be buying a HDD for it, probably 200gb, and wanted to know if I could only do IDE or if it is possible to do SATA with the Xbox. Thanks in advance.

No SATA whatsoever, also be careful with over 120 gig hds, make sure to use the correct/configure your BIOS correctly.

Last edited:
I've never seen any issue with hdds over 120gb hard drives, they do have to be PATA though.

Xbox as a media centre hooked into your network = awesome :)

I love mine, use it for movies/music alot, they just stream off the network + got 250gig drive in it.

Also get frequent media centre updates, which improve everything alla time :)

Watch the modchip discussion.

Where to get it: OK
How to install it: OK
What you do with it: NOT OK. We don't need to know why you're installing it.

I've had great luck with the Xecuter 2.6 CEs, Xecuter 3s, and smartxx V2s...
if this post is against forum policies, please erase my post, thanks.

Oni said:
Watch the modchip discussion.

Where to get it: OK
How to install it: OK
What you do with it: NOT OK. We don't need to know why you're installing it.
My lips are sealed. :santa:

softmod is the way to go........no chiping to be done. and you can erase it all and reset to standard xbox. i got full media center, trainers, save emulators and games to HD. i know how to do it 2, but cant tell ya. :rolleyes:

Webzta said:
Xbox as a media centre hooked into your network = awesome :)

I love mine, use it for movies/music alot, they just stream off the network + got 250gig drive in it.

Also get frequent media centre updates, which improve everything alla time :)

How do you use an Xbox as a media center? Is there any online information on how to do that?

xbox-scene.com has more info on this topic if any of you are interested. I would go the Xecuter 3 for the modchip. By far th ebst oen I have used and I have modded several xboxes for friends and myself. The media center is by far the best 3rd party app out there to make the xbox a usefull console.

Can't talk bios, but if you go over 120gb you will probably have to make multiple partitions. (not a big deal)
If you have xbmc it is currently illegal also.... Just a reminder for the forums.

I have.... let me look.... X-B.I.T. and it has worked very well. On my 1.4 (me thinks) there was no soldering to do.

Well the 120Gb thing is just that same as the problem that was on computers, anything bigger wouldn't show up, actually the limit was 137Gb I believe. To fix that bios for both PC and other hardware with large HDD attached needed bios updates.

I personally have a Xenium and never had an qualms. Not sure if it was worth the $$$ but it does it's job. My new xbox I'll probably just flash the TSOP. It's FREE.

I just picked up a 250Gb on w00t last night. Xbox? oh Yeah....

godofgorks said:
I just picked up a 250Gb on w00t last night. Xbox? oh Yeah....
Same here. I couldn't pass up that deal(even if the hdd is a little slow), especially considering I only need it for xbox.

Back