• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moddin the side panel to fix a big fan blowin into a hsf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EeeK

Registered
As above, will it does any decrease or increase the temp of the cpu?

Paxmax

EeeK said:
As above, will it does any decrease or increase the temp of the cpu?
If it shovels more air than the original fan, I'd toss the original fan for the heatsink. Then you "duct" the air into your heatsink.
You'll be gaining twice with this.
1. You'll be drawing fresh air straight for the heatsink.
2. You'll get better ventilation into the case since you(probably) add more air than before. Better ventilation brings lower temps inside case :) It's a win - win situation !

Only drawback is the duct, while the air rushes trough it some will be lost of the extra backpressure created bu the lenght of the duct.

ThePunkGeek

if u duct it in the fan outside of the case with be cooler then the air inside the case. This will allow the heatsink fan to blow cooler air on top of the heatsink.

Tipycol

Yup, any way to get cooler air directly where it's needed will help. So doing this will lower your temps.

OP
E

EeeK

Registered
Pardon my ignorance , what is "duct". Anyway can someone recommend me a fan to blow into the hsf?

PS: how abt if i reverse to suck the air? Fixin a fan on the side panel to suck the hot air and also maybe changin the hsf to suckin instead of blowin.

Paxmax

EeeK said:
Pardon my ignorance , what is "duct". Anyway can someone recommend me a fan to blow into the hsf?

PS: how abt if i reverse to suck the air? Fixin a fan on the side panel to suck the hot air and also maybe changin the hsf to suckin instead of blowin.

A duct is a "tube" or equal that will lead air to a specific point.

If you suck the air from the heatsink and toss it outside, you'll also get lower temps all together.

1. You'll be forcing more air in/out your case, so case temps will be better.
2. You'll immideately evacuate all HOT air from cpu, again good for case temps.
3. The heatsink will unfortunately not get the "coldest" of air, but still the case temp drops wich it uses so, you'll still get a benefit for your cpu temp.

In my case I evac the hot cpu air almost immideatly, I have a 120mm fan between case backside and heatsink/fan assembly.
By evac hot air at the "upside" of my case, I'll use the "chimney effect" more efficiently. I tried the 120mm the other way around, to blow fresh air onto heatsink/fan didn't work that good. By doing so, I forced to excess air out in the bottom of the case, working againt mother nature, I lost 2-3 degrees on my cpu.

Strangelove

EeeK said:

I think you got the duct description from Paxmax, it's usually made of cardboard (the cheap way) or sheet metal (the more difficult way).

With regard to the fan: I would get a nice 120mm fan and run it at lower speed, say 7V. (that is unless the noise doesn't bother you.)

elBogg

i have a 120mm fan blowing through the side panel over the cpu, no duct, and a thermalright ax-7 with a delta on the cpu. i like that setup better because the 120mm not only blows cooler air over the cpu, but some of it also washes over the rest of the mobo and the back of the vidcard . . .

maxima88

I have a 80mm fan on my side cover blowing air directly on to my HSF. With it on, my cpu temp is at least 3-4c lower.

nut581

get that blowhole, then put a duct .. u should get sweet lower CPU temp by doing so :) ..

there are many kinds of ducts, u should try which one works better .. search for "duct" or "ducts" on titles only, u should get the idea :) ...